Promise of budget veto may require New Mexico to call special session
- How to succeed at increasing spending without really trying: The balanced budget amendment .... Gabel, Matthew J.; Hager, Gregory L. // Public Choice;Jan2000, Vol. 102 Issue 1/2, p19
Focuses on the proposed line-item veto and balanced budget amendment for pork-barrel spending in the United States. Importance of line item veto; Role of the president in vetoing a bill; Proposals of institutional reforms.
- A line-item veto may be in president Clinton's future: McLaughlin, Abraham T.; Bandrapalli, Suman // Christian Science Monitor;11/10/95, Vol. 87 Issue 243, p2
Reports on the likely emergence of a consensus regarding budgetary veto rights of the president in a spending bill.
- Tennessee Legislature Overrides Governor's Veto of `Fudge-It Budget'. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;06/29/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30923, p4
Reports that the Tennessee Legislature has overridden Governor Don Sundquist's veto of the state's budget bill for 2001. Budget's reliance on projected revenue estimates rather than implementation of new taxes or expense reduction; Other concerns by Sundquist about the budget.
- Governor Scott signs budget, vetoes nearly $500 million. FINEOUT, GARY // South Florida Times;7/2/2015, Vol. 25 Issue 27, p1A
The article reports that Rick Scott, Governor of Florida has enforced a 78 billion dollars budget law by using his line-item veto power.
- Committee Praises E.D. Shift On Budget; Assails Tax Credits. Mirga, Tom // Education Week;3/9/1983, Vol. 2 Issue 24, p8
The article tackles the consideration of the U.S. Education Department to budget program issue of tax credits. The members of a House appropriation subcommittee proposed a 13.2 billion dollar budget for education in 1984. Though the Congressmen were fulfilled with the budget proposed by the...
- Line-Item Veto Unlikely to Slow Congress on D.C. Budget. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;6/28/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31914, p33
Reports that District of Columbia Mayor Anthony Williams has vetoed a provision within the proposed budget for the fiscal year which begins on October 1, 2004. Impact on the progress in Congress of the federal spending legislation that incorporates the budget.
- DELINEATING THE POWER OF THE GOVERNOR AND THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY WITH RESPECT TO APPROPRIATIONS IN PENNSYLVANIA: AN ANALYSIS OF JUBELIRER V. RENDELL. Santo, Nicole M. // Widener Law Journal;2010, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p421
This article examines the power of the governor in Pennsylvania to delete portions of an appropriation bill that define funding terms without vetoing the actual monetary figure that accompanies the language. A simplified process of constitutional construction is presented that clearly outlined...
- Georgia Legislature, Gov. Perdue in Standoff Over Budget Disputes. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/23/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32613, p35
The article reports that Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue vetoed a budget plan for mid-year 2007 and 2008 fiscal year. The House leaders vowed to override the governor's veto, however the Senate did not make any action to challenge the veto. Perdue told the legislators to return for a special...
- House approves 2000 budget bill. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;10/29/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30758, p5
Reports on the approval of a compromise version of the District of Columbia's $4.29 billion fiscal 2000 spending bill after the House and Senate negotiators attached a $313 billion health, education and welfare appropriations bill to it that virtually assures President Bill Clinton will veto the...