10 years ago in the Profession
- Truth or Dare for Your Adviser. // Money;Feb2008, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p40
The article presents and discusses four questions useful in evaluating a financial planner's style and candor. What was the biggest mistake the planner has ever made? Are the planner's financial incentives and the client's best interests aligned? How have portfolios managed by the planner...
- A Keynote from the Future. Veres, Bob // Journal of Financial Planning;Jun2002, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p22
The article revisits the financial planning profession in the U.S. from a futuristic point of view. The year 2002 was a unique transitional point where our society switched from one primary form of investing to another. People then were still investing in mutual funds, but the limitations of...
- Investment research, anyone? Meet 'Big Phil' // Money Management;9/30/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 36, p32
This article presents information related to financial planning. For an industry that continuously stresses the importance of offering clear value propositions and being best-of-breed, it is no surprise to hear how close some fund managers are getting to the underlying companies held in their...
- The Money Handlers. Kahan, Stuart // Accounting Today;Oct2003 Supplement, p4
Presents an overview of several articles in "CPA Wealth Provider," a supplement to the periodicals "Accounting Today," "Accounting Technology" and "Practical Accountant." Information on Diahann Lassus, a financial planner; Creation of planning opportunities in the technology field; Evaluation...
- Few Are Chosen. Korn, Donald Jay // Financial Planning;Aug2004, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p81
Provides information on focused funds. Reason for the reluctance of financial planners in using the fund; Volatility of focused funds; Degrees of concentration of the funds. INSET: Focus Fund Favorites.
- An Adviser's Lament. Duryea, Gina // Financial Planning;Sep2005, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p200
Offers insight on the current trend of commission cuts being employed by mutual fund companies in the U.S. Information on the 403(b) business; Reasons behind implementing commission cuts; Impact of commission cuts on financial planners.
- When to Sell Your Fund. Nayak, Mahesh // Business Today;10/21/2007, Vol. 16 Issue 21, p198
The article discusses the importance of knowing when to take a crucial decision of selling mutual funds. It is stated that one should not churn between different mutual funds, since funds should be long-term investments, but sometimes there compelling reasons why one must exit a fund. According...
- Double Plays. Korn, Donald Jay // Financial Planning;Sep2011, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p125
The article discusses the need for financial advisors to determine the role of a total return fund in a client's portfolio. Mutual fund analyst Miriam Sjoblom explains the concept behind total return funds. Particular focus is given to the success of Pimco Total Return and DoubleLine's total...
- Not Just Product Pushers: Why Advisers Need Fund Wholesalers. Minton, Chris // Bank Investment Consultant;Feb2001, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p72
Discusses the factors why financial advisers need to hire mutual fund wholesalers. Requirement of commissions ranging from the purchase price; Responsibility in making prudent financial decisions; Role as liaisons with fund companies.