Franchise War in Texas
- Verizon Wins Franchise in Major New York Market. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;4/10/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 15, p8
Reports that telephone company Verizon Communications Inc. has obtained a cable TV franchise in major New York market in April 2006. Several towns in New York to be served by Verizon; Overview of the franchise agreement; Operation plan of Verizon in Hempstead by the end of 2007.
- Baby Bell Hits a Snag in Jersey. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/20/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 25, p4
Focuses on a potential bill that would allow Verizon Communications Inc. to enter the video-delivery business in New Jersey without seeking support from each city it serves. Requirements for selecting a cable franchise in the state; Percentage proposed by the company to be paid by localities;...
- After Ind., Franchise Battle Shifts to N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p14
Reports on the approval of a draft of a reform bill by a Senate committee in New Jersey that would enable statewide video certification within 45 days. Provisions of the measure for cable operators and telephone companies; Accusation by Verizon against the state's operators when Time Warner,...
- Capitol Expenses. Eggerton, John // Broadcasting & Cable;6/5/2006, Vol. 136 Issue 23, p30
Discusses issues concerning video-franchise reform in the U.S. in 2006. Debate between telephone companies and cable television over the streamlining the video-franchising process; Telephone firms that are lobbying for a national video-franchising scheme to short-circuit local franchise...
- Calif. Franchise Bill Would Let Cable Opt Out. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;8/14/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 32, p16
The article reports on the consideration of a bill for state video franchising in California by the Senate Appropriations Committee on August 14, 2006. The legislators has added provisions that would allow cities to subject technology builds to review under environmental laws. Under the...
- Telco CA Gold Rush:. // CableFAX Daily;6/2/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 107, p1
Reports on the approval of a statewide video franchising bill in California by an assembly of the California Cable & Telecom Association. Provisions of the bill; Estimated amount spent by Verizon and AT&T in supporting the bill through advertising.
- Feelin' OK in Richmond. // CableFAX Daily;2/28/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p1
Reports on the video franchise bill passed by the Virginia House and Senate. Significance of the bill for Verizon; Reason for the failure of other cable operators to negotiate a franchise deal in other U.S. states.
- Surprise for Verizon in N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;12/5/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 51, p31
The article reports on the opposition of Verizon Communications Inc. to a video franchising draft bill sponsored by assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo (D-Newark) in New Jersey that calls for a statewide franchise for some providers of cable television services. Verizon plans to launch video services...
- California Franchise Debate Coming. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;5/29/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 22, p11
Reports that the supporters of a statewide video-franchise reform bill in California need to settle out amendments in order to meet the chamber's deadline for floor debate on new bills on June 2, 2006. Information on the state's rules for video providers; Proposal of Verizon to meet the...