Is Anybody Out There?: A closer look at the dire picture unearthed in the NEA's "Reading at Risk" study turns up some hopeful signs
- Summer reading. // American Visions;Jun/Jul97, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p28
Presents interviews with several black musicians about the books they would intend to read for summer 1997. Books to be read by the composer Wynton Marsalis in summer 1997; Favorite authors of Max Roach, a trap drummer; Pianist Stanley Cowell's three favorite books by Ikeda.
- Reading interests of Zulu-speaking Standard Two children in Pietermaritzburg. Radebe, Thuli // South African Journal of Library & Information Science;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p161
Studies the reading interests of a group of black Standard Two children in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. Popularity of animal themes in terms of topic of interest; Influence of socio-cultural background of settings in books on reading interest; Importance of the principle of individuality in...
- Books Worth a Look. // Teaching Pre K-8;Feb2003, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p36
Presents information on several children's books. 'Famous Bears and Friends: One Hundred Years of Teddy Bear Stories, Poems, Songs and Heroics,' by Janet Wyman Coleman; 'Little Rabbit Lost,' by Harry Horse; 'Time for Naps,' by Jane Yolen.
- RECENT PUBLICATIONS IN MUSIC. Ostrove, Geraldine E. // Fontes Artis Musicae;Oct-Dec2001, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p411
Lists citations to literature about music in print and other media. 'Die Beach Boys und Brian Wilson,' by Kingsley Abbott; 'Stopping Time: Paul Bley and the Transformation of Jazz,' by Paul Bley and David Lee; 'Love This Life: The Lyrics, 1978-2000,' by Neil Finn.
- Taking sides. Ross, Catherine Sheld // Canadian Literature;Spring92, Issue 132, p216
Reviews the books `A Sense of Style: Studies in the Art of Fiction in English-Speaking Canada,' by W.J. Keith and `Dance of the Sexes: Art and Gender in the Fiction of Alice Munro,' by Beverly J. Rasporich.
- 'CONSTRUCTION SITE': ON READING BENJAMIN'S ARCADES. Burrow, Merrick; Farnell, Gary; Jardine, Mick // New Formations;Winter2004, Issue 54, p7
Presents an introduction to the articles included in the December 2004 issue of "Reading Benjamin's Arcades."
- Heard Any Good Books Lately? Locke, Deborah // Book Links;Oct/Nov2001, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p26
Focuses on the importance of children's books. Source of enjoyment and recreation; Development of reading interest among children; Enhancement on the skills of appreciating language. INSETS: Web Connections.;Essential Listening..
- History as literature. Dafoe, Christopher // Beaver;Aug/Sep96, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p2
Comments on the alleged decline in readership of literary materials with historical significance because of the advent of television and electronic publishing. Possible phaseout of books and old-fashioned literature; Complaints about inarticulate graduates emerging from schools; Uses of...
- BOOKS RECEIVED. // British Journal of Social Work;Jan2008, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p213
The article presents a list of books which have been received by the magazine "British Journal of Social Work."