Reeling them in
- Handheld boost for Va. Beach. // FoodService Director;12/15/206, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p6
The article reports on the new breakfast in the classroom program instituted by several elementary schools in Virginia. Students at Birdneck, Luxford, Shelton Park and Bettie F. Williams schools pick up two wax paper bags from carts outside their classrooms when they arrive each morning. One bag...
- In California School Dist.: Special breakfasts attract parents. // FoodService Director;07/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p13
Highlights the breakfast program of the Santa Maria-Bonito School District in California. Details on the `Muffins for Mom' and `Donuts for Dad' program; Effectiveness of the program on getting parents and children together to eat; How the school cafeterias are decorated.
- Breakfast fuels the day. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;12/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p56
Focuses on the reliance of school kids on school food service for breakfast in the U.S. Value of a nutritious breakfast to the education process; Meal service for breakfast being offered by most of the schools in Chinle, Arizona; Popularity of Mexican foods in schools.
- WV ranks No. 1 in school breakfast. // FoodService Director;01/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the top national ranking of West Virginia for the efforts of school food service facilities in the state in promoting school breakfast programs.
- Kids Lend a Hand to Sort Waste for Recycling. // Food Management;May2013, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p12
The article focuses on a foodservice program run by Christa Gowen, foodservice director of the Beeman Elementary School in New Haven, Vermont, in which the school district puts emphasis on healthy eating and motivates the students to help in sorting the waste for recycling.
- Elephans and giraffes stir school cafeteria biz. Blank, Christine // FoodService Director;02/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p64
Focuses on the cafeteria of the elementary school in Owlsey County, Kentucky, which contains life-size paintings of elephants, giraffes and palm trees on the walls. Indepth look at the design of the cafeteria; Details on the apparel of the foodservice staff; Comments from foodservice director...
- An FSD Newstrack Exclusive: Baltimore Schools Embrace Universal Free Breakfast. // FoodService Director;10/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p22
Probes on the `In Classroom Breakfast Program' of forty schools in Baltimore, Maryland. Results of the program; List of the program elements; Breakfast menu.
- The Economics of a Healthy School Meal. Wilde, Parke; Kennedy, Mary // Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm & Resource Issues;2009 3rd Quarter, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p25
The article reviews the school food service operations as a business by examining the cost of improving meals and the effect of offering healthier meals in revenues. It mentions that school food services will have a time when they will experience a decrease in revenue as the students are...
- A fruity idea. // Food Management;Jun99, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p16
Reports on the success of boxed fruit lunches served at the cafeteria of Cox Elementary School in Xenia, Ohio. Contents of the boxed fruit lunch; Background on the concept of serving fruit lunches; Appreciation from parents of vegetarian children; Drawbacks; Savings. INSET: Fruit dip (recipe)..