New Looking Glass
- NEW-GENERATION OPTRONIC AND ELECTRO-OPTIC SENSORS FOR SUBMARINES. Nitschke, Stefan // Naval Forces;2008, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p98
The article discusses a new generation of optronic or infrared and electro-optic sensors for submarines. It states that these sensors are an invaluable aid for submarine operations. These technologies are considered to be a key advantage, offering submarine crews the ability to visually...
- Lockheed Martin Readying For Aegis Upgrades. // Defense Daily;4/16/2012, Vol. 254 Issue 11, p6
The article reports that the Aegis Combat System on Navy destroyers and cruisers will be upgraded by Lockheed Martin [LMT], as the U.S. Navy is moving to the baseline version of the system. Comments of Jeff Bantle, Lockheed Martin's vice president for combat and missile defense systems, are...
- KVH fiber-optic gyro-based inertial measurement units added to U.S. Navy's MK54 torpedoes. // Military & Aerospace Electronics;Apr2007, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p28
The article reports that KVH Industries Ltd. has received a follow-up order on TG-6000 inertial measurement units (IMU) to be use in the U.S. Navy's MK54 torpedoes for more than $2.6 million. The contract is the first of the three options originally signed in September 2005, in which shipments...
- UP PERISCOPE. // Professional Engineering;9/19/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 17, p29
The article offers information on the evolution of submarine periscopes in Great Britain. In the early 1900s, submarine periscope were simple optical instruments used to spot enemy surface ships. The Barr and Stroud transform the periscope into an essential component of naval warfare with range...
- The U.S. Navy. Polmar, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Dec99, Vol. 125 Issue 12, p85
Focuses on the need to improve antisubmarine warfare capabilities of submarines in the United States Navy. Lack of capability demonstrated in the UNITAS joint display of submarines operation; Suggestion to accelerate projects to build submarines with air-independent propulsion features.
- Submarine Celebrations and Questions. Polmar, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Apr2000, Vol. 126 Issue 4, p103
Reports developments in the United States Navy as of April 2000. Includes the 100th anniversary of the US submarine community; Increase in the number of attack submarines; Reduction in the number of trident strategic missile submarines.
- Navy Submarines. // All Hands;Jan2000, Issue 992, p38
Presents a list of the submarines of the United States Navy.
- Around the Fleet. // All Hands;Apr2000, Issue 995, p7
Presents news briefs about the United States Navy as of April 2000. Amount of demolition cost savings from Naval Security Group Activity's recycling efforts; Details on the tour of Crown Prince Tupouto'a of Tonga aboard the USS Portsmouth submarine; Schedule for the underway trials of the...
- SUBMARINES. // All Hands;Jan2002, Issue 1017, p20
Lists several types of submarines of the U.S. Navy. Attack submarines; Ballistic missile submarines.