Councils Should Make Sure Tax-Exempt Status is in Order
- Planning Tax-Exempt Organizations. Harmelink, Philip J. // Journal of the American Taxation Association;Fall84, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p90
The article presents information on the book, Planning Tax-Exempt Organizations, by Robert J. Desiderio and Scott A. Taylor. This guide discusses how to obtain and maintain tax-exempt status. It provides detailed guidance in the planning, formation, and continuing representation of tax-exempt...
- The New IRS Form 990 and Schedule H: What Trustees Need to Know. Wolter, Nicholas // Trustee;Jul2008, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p27
The article focuses on the revised version of Form 990 of tax-exempt organizations and 16 related schedules by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The aim of some sections of the revised form is to provide the IRS with an overview of the governance structures of an organization. The process...
- IRS takes workshop for charities, churches to the Web. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);2/2/2007, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p17A
The article reports that Internal Revenue Service has been launched an Internet-based version of Exempt Organizations Workshop in the U.S. The free online workshop is focused on the tax compliance issues confronted by a small and mid-sized tax-exemption organizations including charitable...
- IRS and Treasury Issue Guidance Plan. // Association Management;May2000, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p10
Reports that the United States (US) Internal Revenue Service and the US Department of Treasury have released their priority list for guidance projects that they will focus on in 2000. Items included in the list that affect tax-exempt organizations.
- IRS Releases New Implementing Guidelines For Exempt Organizations. // Association Management;Nov2001, Vol. 53 Issue 11, p10
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has released taxation guidelines for exempt organizations. Other compliance projects of the IRS for fiscal year 2002.
- A Top 10 list of 2008 developments for 2009 tax strategies. Jones, George G.; Luscombe, Mark A. // Accounting Today;1/5/2009, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p13
The article discusses the 2008 developments for 2009 tax strategies in the U.S. It states that there is a growing number of legitimate tax shelters that are being subject to examination. In addition, the use of tax-exempt entities as tax-neutral parties in certain tax-shelter arrangements has...
- Tax exempt status denied Buffalo group. // Advocate;12/6/72, Issue 100, p17
Reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service has rejected an appeal by the Mattachine Society of the Niagara Frontier (MSNF) stating that MSNF is not entitled to be recognized as exempted from federal income tax. Role played by MSNF in gay rights; Constituent members of MSNF.
- Why Pension Funds Don't Buy Munis, and How They Could. Harper Jr., Eugene W. // Bond Buyer;12/1/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 33013, p25
The article offers information on the advantage of amending the Internal Revenue Code in the U.S. It states that the alteration of the code, by allowing a tax-exempt organization to buy a municipal bond, would transform municipals into market-rate investments for tax-exempt organizations....
- Ensuring Tax Exemption When Licensing Association Lists. Arend, Thomas E.; Jacobs, Jerald A. // Association Management;Mar2004, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p13
Provides ideas on how to design arrangement in licensing to protect association's tax-exempt status. Overview on tax regulations; Information on several exceptions to the taxation of unrelated business income; Guidelines suggested for structuring licensing and royalty arrangements.