- Around theFleet. // All Hands;May2003, Issue 1033, p8
Presents news regarding the activities of the U.S. Navy recent as of May 2003. Statement of appreciation made by Vice Admiral Timothy J. Keating for the service of U.S. sailors during the 2003 Iraq War; Centennial celebration of the Guantanamo Bay Lease Agreement in 1903; Assistance given to...
- Studies Aim to Refocus Urban Training, Tactics. Roth, Margaret // Sea Power;Dec2004, Vol. 47 Issue 12, p20
Focuses on the studies to determine how U.S. forces can better prepare for unconventional threats in the future. Five areas of a study on a broad spectrum of training needs; Specific questions the studies aim to answer; Suggestion that new concept of urban operations embraces the integration of...
- NAVAL CHIEFS OF STAFF COMMENTS ON THEIR ADAPTION TO THE NEW SECURITY-POLITICAL SITUATION. // Naval Forces;Oct2002, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p60
Presents insights on the adaption of naval chiefs of staff to the new security and political situation following major military events in the 20th century and the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. Defense spending; Differences regarding mission, tasks and assets of navies during...
- DEFENSE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: State of Eritrea;Jul2005, p5
Provides an overview on the defense sector of Eritrea. Increase in the number of Eritrean Peoples Liberation Front (EPLF) fighting forces during the war for independence; Phase program to demobilize the country's armed forces; Outbreak of war with Ethiopia.
- USN. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;2/26/2007, Vol. 166 Issue 9, p19
The article announces the appointment of U.S. Navy Admiral Timothy J. Keating as commander of the Honolulu-based U.S. Pacific Command.
- War Gaming and its Role in Examining the Future. Watman, Kenneth // Brown Journal of World Affairs;Summer/Fall2003, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p51
Focuses on the role of war gaming in examining the future of mankind. Comparison of war games and play writing; Purpose of the art of devising a war game; Characteristics of a war game; Composition of the play of a war game.
- Categorizing War is an Invitation to Defeat. Sinnreich, Richard Hart // Army Magazine;Apr2005, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p12
Focuses on how to defeat enemies who decline to fight in traditional ways. Suggestion that irregular warfare required some fundamental military redesign; Analysis of the Roman and British armies; Disadvantages of categorizing war by the U.S. military.
- A CASE AGAINST BATTLE DRILL SIX. Forman, Mike // Infantry;Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 95 Issue 6, p42
The article reveals that an overemphasis on training for close quarter combat or close quarter battle (CQB) has resulted in its overuse in combat, often in situations where more appropriate options exist. Specialized units developed and refined CQB tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP) over...
- Has German Strategy Failed? Simonds, Frank H. // New Republic;11/7/14, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p13
Focuses on the German strategy in World War I. German armies in France, Belgium and Poland; Conditions of the colossal war game; Breaking of the superiority of the enemies of Germany; Commercial superiority of Germany; Campaign of the Allies; Superiority of numbers in control of the sea;...