- REAL--TIME RESCUE. Lafemina, Fred P. // Fire Engineering;Oct2004, Vol. 157 Issue 10, p127
Discusses the importance of conducting technical rescue training for firefighters. Attitude of commanders toward specialized firefighter units; Role of incident commanders in taking control of the incident; Need to encourage people with information that could save lives of firefighters to share...
- GIFT HORSES. Colletti, Dominic // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p44
Looks into how to organize a coordinated aggressive interior fire attack for your fire department in the U.S. Questions to ask on the issue of acquiring a suitable structure; Reasons why the fire department should use an acquired structure; Difficulty of some fire officers to justify the...
- HEALTH RESORT OPATIJA VOLUNTEER FIRE BRIGADE AND RESCUE SOCIETY. Fischinger, Janez; Fischinger, Aleš; Fischinger, Duša // Acta Medico-Historica Adriatica;2011, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p47
Not only the health service but also several other humanitarian institutions and societies were active in Abbazia/Opatija, the most important town on the once Austrian Riviera, the town tluat was also known as the Austrian Nice. The most important of the societies was The Health Resort Opatija...
- HUSH. Markley, Rick // Fire Chief;Mar2009, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p60
The article focuses on some problems involving rescue apparatus of fire departments in the U.S. According to sources, rescue accidents such as vehicular collisions are the only causes of firefighters/ deaths and injuries. To address these problems, the National Fire Protection Association...
- ON ICE. Schmidt, Vicki // Fire Chief;Sep2010, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p44
The article reports on why there is a need for fire fighters to gain knowledge on ice-water rescue event most especially on a jurisdiction with a high probability of occurrence. It suggests that awareness and operations level training should be introduced to fire fighters. This is because it can...
- Heroes of the Flames: Firefighters. Orr, Tamra B. // Career World;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the aspects of becoming a firefighter. Skills and traits that firefighters should possess; Minimum qualifications of the profession; Rewards from becoming a firefighter.
- DEVELOPING A CULTURE OF SAFETY. Shelley, Craig H.; Cole, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Nov2004, Vol. 157 Issue 11, p114
This article discusses various issues related to safety for fire fighters in the U.S. The article authors hold that safety must become a of life, and must be incorporated into on-duty and off-duty activities of fire fighters. The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation held a summit of fire...
- Me and my job. // SC Magazine: For IT Security Professionals;Aug2005, p17
Presents an interview of Garry Griffin, group manager of Buckinghamshire Fire Service, regarding his occupation. Career background; Advantage and disadvantage of working in fire service; Career influences.
- Commitment Issues. Cade, Gregory B. // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p40
Looks into the risks involved in being a firefighter in the U.S. Process of recruiting and training new members of the fire department; Recognition of the importance of investing in the welfare of the firefighters; Advantages of training new recruits.