Principles for literacy assessment
- Something cool for after school. Shindler, Dorman T.; Kunkel, Kelly // Better Homes & Gardens;Apr2005, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p182
Details some after-school programs in the United States. 4-H Afterschool's launching of its old youth initiative, 4-H; Objectives of Business Week, a summer intern program in Colorado; Programs offered by Heart House, a free-after-school program for low-income children.
- Research DIGEST. // Literacy Today;Dec2006, Issue 49, p26
The article presents abstracts of articles from academic journals on the subject of educational and literacy research, including a theoretical framework on the development of reading in children, early child development and care, and relation between disability, development and education.
- Conceptions of US and Brazilian early childhood care and education: A historical and comparative analysis. Freitas, Lia B.L.; Shelton, Terri L.; Tudge, Jonathan R.H. // International Journal of Behavioral Development;Mar2008, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p161
Children's first years of life are fundamental for healthy development. Appropriate care and education in the early years are far more useful than dealing with later problems, and in both the United States and Brazil scholars and public-policy makers have argued that the goal should be an...
- Businesses help parents through statewide program. McKee, Marga // South Carolina Business Journal;Nov2000, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p9
Focuses the sponsorship of South Carolina Parent Assistance Project of regional parenting centers around South Carolina for early development of children through the supervision of parents. List of the centers and their location; Focus of the centers; Provisions of the parenting centers.
- IMPACTO DE LOS PROGRAMAS DE HOGARES DE BIENESTAR EN LA SUPERACIÃ“N DE LA POBREZA Y EL DESARROLLO DE LOS NIÃ‘OS EN COLOMBIA. Amar, José Juan Amar; García, Diana Tirado; Aarón, Alfredo Barreneche // InvestigaciÃ³n y Desarrollo;abr2007, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p124
This investigation looks to establish the impact in the development cognitive, physique and children's social personnel that six years ago leave the Program Homes of Well-being of the Colombian Institute of Family Well-being and that they had a minimum of three year of permanency in the same...
- Make a Healthy Investment in Young People. Kagan, Joan // BusinessWest;4/4/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 13, p12
The article focuses on issues related to education and care of young children in Massachusetts. It is a critical public policy issue. There are more than 14,000 children under the age of 6 living in Springfield, Massachusetts. These early years are learning years and a crucial time for a child...
- Latchkey Children: The Fastest-Growing Special Interest Group in the Schools. Strother, Deborah Burnett // Phi Delta Kappan;Dec84, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p290
Discusses the educational issue of latchkey children in the U.S. Growth in the number of double-income families; Data confirming growing need for child-care programs; Effects of self-care; Day-care programs and home-based support services that respond to the needs of latchkey children.
- TECHNOLOGY AND YOUNG CHILDREN REVISTED. DUHANEY, DEVON C.; DUHANEY, BURCHELL D. // International Journal of Instructional Media;2008, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p455
The increasing use of computers and related technologies throughout the society has become a concern among some families with young children and the teachers who work with them. Of particular concern to these families and teachers is the issue of computer use and young children. Although there...
- Week of the Young Child. // YC: Young Children;Mar2006, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p50
The article focuses on the celebration of the Week of the Young Child in the U.S. It is a great opportunity to celebrate children and families and to let the public know about the importance of quality early opportunities. At www.naeyc.org/about/woyc National Association for the Education of...