THROUGH THE WIRE
- Voom Meets Its Doom. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;4/11/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 15, p62
Reports on the shutting down of the processing of Cablevision Systems Corporation's High Definition Television-centric direct-broadcast satellite service Voom in April 2005. Launch of Voom in October 2003; Factors contributing to the decision of Cablevision to end the processing of Voom;...
- What's On HDTV. Antonoff, Michael // Sound & Vision;Jun2003, Vol. 68 Issue 5, p63
Provides the listing for several high-definition television programming in the U.S. Network television; Local broadcasts; Cable television.
- If cable doesn't give people what they want, somebody else will. Luftman, Mike // Cable World (10427228);8/11/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 31, p42
Expresses views on the impact of high definition television (HDTV) on the cable business in the U.S. Growth of cable systems that offer HDTV as of August 11, 2003; Advantage of HDTV to cable; Qualities of HDTV.
- Must-carry technical fallout. Krauss, Jeffrey // CED;Feb2008, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p42
The author reflects on the significance of material degradation on cable industry in the U.S. He noted that cable operators have several options to accomplish the downconversion which include delivering a high definition television program. He believed that the cable operators will be happy if...
- Eastern Show's verdict on HDTV: See you later. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;11/02/98, Vol. 17 Issue 45, p6
Focuses on the difference between the attitudes of cable operators and broadcasters attending the 1998 Eastern Show in Orlando, Florida, toward high-definition television (HDTV). Broadcasters and television manufacturers' extolling of the virtues of HDTV while cable operators remain largely...
- HDTV Cable Providers. Merson, Gary // Sound & Vision;Nov2004, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p93
Presents information on several high definition television cable providers in the U.S. Comcast; Mediacom; Cablevision.
- TRY IT. Effros, Steve // CableFAX Daily;11/3/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 214, p4
The article reflects on the quality of customer services provided by cable television networks in the U.S. It believes that the increasing competition in the industry will force a focus on customer service. It criticizes Verizon for publicizing its FiOS system as something new and extraordinary....
- Nets Grapple With Hi-Def Formats. Hibberd, James // Television Week;2/13/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p1
The article focuses on the advent of high definition (HD) channels launched by cable television networks in the U.S. Discovery HD Theater broadcasts original programming while MTV Networks decided to launch MHD in stand-alone network to pack the channel with more native HD content. The growing...
- ANIMATED NETS RACE TO GO HD. Hibberd, James // Television Week;2/13/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p1
The article focuses on the shift of animated cable television networks to high definition (HD) programming in the U.S. Cartoon Network and Disney Channel shifted their production to HD in preparation for HD channels. The average programming cost of HD animated programs is $10,000. One factor...