Detroit schools takeover advancing
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Education Week;6/23/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 39, p29
The article reports on development related to educational law and legislation in U.S. The California Senate has approved a measure that would divide 641,000-student of Los Angeles Unified School District into at least seven independent school systems. The California Senate also passed a bill to...
- Engler calls for repeal of entire education code. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;1/25/95, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p9
Reports on the plans of Governor John Engler of Michigan to push a bill to repeal all of the state's education regulations.
- Bills would allow cities to form nonprofits. Merx, Katie // Crain's Detroit Business;7/30/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 32, p35
Reports on bills signed by Michigan governor John Engler allowing municipalities to create nonprofit organizations. Scope and application of the bills; Concerns on situations that might arise under the conditions of the bill; Supporters of and opposition to the bills.
- State Journal. Keller, Bess // Education Week;12/15/99, Vol. 19 Issue 16, p19
Reports that the bill sponsored by Governor John Engler to lift the cap on charter schools in Michigan has failed. Proposals in the bill; Effects of the failed bill on schools waiting for charters in Michigan.
- Engler still may object to legislating timely payment. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;3/25/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p17
Focuses on the bill affecting the payment of health claims by insurers in Michigan. Details of the bill; Effect of late payments on the health care industry; Decision of Governor John Engler on the timely-payment legislation.
- Detroit school takeover bill passes house. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;03/18/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30601, p1
Reports that the Illinois House of Representatives have passed a bill giving Governor John Engler control of the public school system and its $1.5 billion bond program. Loss of local control over the system's borrowing.
- Prompt pay delay. Versel, Neil // Modern Physician;01/29/2001, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p6
Reports on the decision of Michigan Governor John Engler to veto legislative bills guaranteeing prompt payment to physicians for clean medical claims. Why Engler vetoed the bills; Statement from Billy Ben Baumann of the Michigan State Medical Society.
- CON Reform Sneaks Under '02 Deadline. Sanchez, Mark // Grand Rapids Business Journal;12/23/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 51, p3
Focuses on the plans of Michigan Governor John Engler to sign a legislation reforming the certificate of need (CON) program. Provisions of the bill; Information on the CON commission; Benefits of the CON bill for the health care system.
- Just One Question. Engler, John // National Journal;5/13/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 19, p2
The article highlights the views of John Engler, president of the National Association of Manufacturers, on the issue concerning the passage of another energy bill after the U.S. Congress passed an energy bill in less than a year. His recommendations that should be part of a new bill include...