Enhancing Mathematical Problem Solving for Students with Disabilities
- Step One for Developing a Great Mathematics Lesson Plan: Understand the Mathematics. Rusch, Tracy L. // Ohio Journal of School Mathematics;Spring2005, Issue 51, p25
This article focuses on the plan for the development of mathematic lessons. There is a clear distinction between being able to get the right answer and knowing why the strategy used to get that right answer makes sense. Until the late 1970s, mathematics instruction focused on the development of...
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PROBLEM SOLVING IN MATHEMATICS CURRICULUM. Aydogdu, Mustafa; Ayaz, Mehmet Fatih // e-Journal of New World Sciences Academy (NWSA);2008, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p538
The basic purpose of this research is to present how to solve a mathematics problem or real problem. In this article, we point out the goals of problem solving in Mathematics Curriculum. This study contains problem solving literature in the world and new studies for problem solving education...
- Cognitive arithmetic and problem solving: A comparison of children with specific and general... Jordan, Nancy C.; Montani, Teresa Oettinge // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p624
Examines problem-solving and number-fact skills in children with mathematics difficulties (MD). Analysis of children's strategies in learning mathematics; Presence of circumscribed deficits associated with fact retrieval in children with specific MD; Difficulties with problem conceptualization...
- Applying Lakatos' theory to the theory of mathematical problem solving. Nunokawa, Kazuhiko // Educational Studies in Mathematics;Oct96, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p269
Investigates the relation between Lakatos' theory and issues about mathematics education, with particular attention paid to mathematical problem solving. Discussion of Lakatos' theory; Lakatos' methodology of a scientific research program; Correspondence between research programs and the...
- Metaphors in the Teaching of Mathematical Problem Solving. Chapman, Olive // Educational Studies in Mathematics;Mar1997, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p201
This article reports on a study that investigated the teaching of mathematical problem solving from a teacher�s perspective. The study focused on three teachers and their way of making sense of teaching problem solving. Data collected through interviews and classroom...
- TEACHING TIPS. Boswell, Laurie // Scholastic Math (Teacher's Edition);10/1/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 2, pT2
Presents several tips for teaching mathematics.
- TEACHING TIPS. // Scholastic Math (Teacher's Edition);11/19/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 5, pT2
Presents tips on teaching mathematics, including problem solving.
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES. // Scholastic Math (Teacher's Edition);09/04/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 1, pT3
Presents several problem solving activities for students to improve their math skills.
- PROBLEM-SOLVING EXERCISES. Coad, Justin // Mathematics Teaching;Dec2003, Issue 185, p39
Discusses several mathematics problem-solving exercises. Strategies in solving mathematical problems.