ESPN Takes PPV to Web
- PICTURE THIS R. THOMAS UMSTEAD. // Multichannel News;9/28/2015, Vol. 36 Issue 34, p46
A blog is presented which discusses the results of surveys related to the popularity of live sports programming on smartphones and tablets due to which pay television (TV) subscribers may take the decision to cut their cords.
- ESPN Lands a PPV Knockout. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;5/9/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 19, p9
Focuses on the pay-per-view boxing games launched by ESPN in the U.S. Cost of the service; Boxers featured in the inaugural event.
- Heralding Tyson's Return. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;7/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 29, p84
Reports on the pay-per-view (PPV) airing of the boxing match between Mike Tyson and Danny Williams on July 30, 2004 by Showtime PPV. Distribution of the fight by In Demand; Problems being encountered by Showtime concerning the bout; Upcoming PPV boxing fights to be shown in 2004.
- TVKO goes after Lewis-Grant fight. Umstead // Multichannel News;01/10/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p24
Reports on the pay per view television broadcasting of boxing events in the United States by TVKO and Showtime Event Television (SET). TVKO's development of a fight between Lennox Lewis and Michael Grant; SET plans to revive the junior middleweight match between Felix Trinidad and David Reid;...
- Lewis-Tyson Pays Off Big. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;6/17/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 24, p1
Reports the impact of Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson heavyweight boxing matches on the pay-per-view (PPV) television industry in the U.S. Amount of PPV revenue; Impact of the defeat of Tyson on his PPV appeal; Percentage generated of the majority of systems.
- ESPN PPV Efforts Get Digital Toehold. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;05/08/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p144
Highlights cable television network ESPN's optimism on the growth potentials of its digital pay-per-view sports services. Level of market penetration through AT&T Broadband's Headend in the Sky digital package; Network's receiving of a solid mix of buys from varied demographic groups.
- Speed Races All Over the Digital World. Kaufman, Debra // Television Week;5/1/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 18, p43
The article focuses on the move of sports cable television network Speed to adopt the digital distribution platforms. In addition to the pay-per-view and two screens used by On-Board Pass, the network is exploiting video-on-demand, broadband, interactive television, Internet and mobile devices....
- Home games. Scott, Richard // Money (Australia Edition);Oct2008, Issue 106, p59
The article compares the cost of watching sports on television (TV) through pay or online. It states that the pay-TV people have maximised their return by spreading the most desirable channels across separate packages that all cost extra. If one does not mind watching games on a computer screen,...
- Tyson's PPV return in Jeopardy. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;01/17/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p32
Reports that boxing champion Mike Tyson's pay-per-view match against Shannon Briggs scheduled in March or April 2000 may not push through because of a delay in a January 26 fight in England against British fighter Julius Francis. Enforcement of an immigration rule that prohibits the entry of...