Barton Calls for a Telecom-Law Overhaul
- Gridlock: Telecom Bill's '06 Chances Look Slimmer. // CableFAX Daily;5/19/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 98, p1
Presents updates on the development of a telecom bill in the U.S. as of May 2006. Position of Senator Ted Stevens and Representative Joe Barton concerning the bill; Impact of the proposed bill on local governments; Comments by Representative Barbara Boxer on the problems her state has had with...
- Celebrating a Web That's Free--For Now. Levy, Steven // Newsweek;10/9/2006, Vol. 148 Issue 15, p14
This article reports on the issue of "Net Neutrality." The idea of neutrality is that the Internet will be preserved in the current egalitarian form, where anyone can access any site at the same speed. Telecom and cable companies want to impose a tariff schedule on websites, so those that can...
- Change to act could constrain Net. Rodger, Will // Inter@ctive Week;07/14/97, Vol. 4 Issue 23, p32
Presents information on Senator Ted Stevens's support of the regulation of the 1997 Internet Tax Freedom Act, a bill that would forbid state and local municipalities from imposing taxes on the Internet. How Stevens opposed the moratorium; What would happen if Stevens labeled the Net as a...
- US, European Telco Groups Team on Internet Regs. // Green Data Centers & Internet Business Newsletter;Apr2015, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p1
The article reports on partnership of telecommunication services associations European Telecommunications Network Operators (ETNO) and United States Telecom Association (USTelecom) for establishment of new policies and rules governing the Internet and broadband access services. It presents views...
- Broadband bill still alive. Albiniak, Paige // Broadcasting & Cable;04/30/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 19, p22
Reports on the prospects of a broadband bill that would allow the regional phone companies in the United States to offer high-speed data services across long distances. Center of a fight between incumbent local phone companies and long-distance carriers versus competitive local exchanges...
- TAUZIN-DINGELL HITS A SNAG. Bischoff, Glenn // Telephony;12/17/2001, Vol. 241 Issue 24, p8
Focuses on issues about a broadband relief legislation in the U.S. Opposition to the legislation; Barriers to the passage of the legislation in the House of Representatives.
- USTA'S PROMISE. Vittore, Vince // Telephony;12/17/2001, Vol. 241 Issue 24, p20
Focuses on the views of the U.S. Telecom Association on a legislation that will govern broadband service in the U.S. Economic significance of the legislation; Provisions of the legislation.
- Net Neutrality Backers Target Lawmakers for Taking Comcast's Cash. Eggerton, John // Multichannel News;2/16/2015, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p38
The article focuses on the position of liberal group Demand Progress against Comcast and its opposition to the Title II reclassification of U.S. broadband providers as common carriers.
- AT&T's Angel Runs Into Buzzsaw. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;10/30/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 44, p1
Focuses on the concerns of Senator Ted Stevens over the federal cable ownership rules at AT&T Corp. in the United States. Impact of the rules on the company; Details on the personal and educational background of Stevens; Reasons for enforcing federal rules against the company; Account of the...