Bowker Stat-of-the-Week: Books On Iraq
- 'THE MOTHER OF ALL BATTLES' // New York Times Upfront (Teacher's Edition);3/28/2003, Vol. 135 Issue 12, pT3
Presents a guide to teaching about the Persian Gulf War in 1991 and the U.S.-led war against Iraq in 2003. Discussion questions; Teaching objectives; Classroom strategies.
- A NEW KIND OF WAR? Lessons from Iraq. Bacevich, Andrew J. // Commonweal;4/25/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 8, p10
Discusses the attack of the U.S. against Iraq. Comparison of the Iraqi War with Operation Desert Storm in 1991; Information on the images of the activities of U.S. soldiers during the war; Plan of U.S. General Tommy Franks regarding the war in Iraq.
- War's Return. Vernon, Alex // War, Literature & the Arts: An International Journal of the Huma;2006, Vol. 18 Issue 1/2, p301
The article presents an essay in response to remarks and excerpts of the author's memoir "most succinctly bred," regarding the U.S. war in Iraq. The author presents an argument against the war, comparing it to a combination of the perceived failure of Vietnam War and the Persian Gulf war of...
- Erasing Iraq Author Mike Otterman: The U.S. Has Inflicted "Sociocide" on Iraq. Hammond, Jeremy R. // Washington Report on Middle East Affairs;Aug2010, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p43
The article presents the views of Mike Otterman, co-author of the book "Erasing Iraq: The Human Costs of Carnage," regarding the U.S. war in Iraq. Otterman claims that Iraq never recovered from the first Gulf war and that reconstruction was impossible because of sanctions from the United Nations...
- THE IRAQI DEAD. Miles, Jack // Commonweal;7/18/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 13, p10
Deals with the casualties from the U.S.-led war in Iraq in 2003. Accounts of related newspaper articles; Comparison from the number of casualties in Gulf War I; Impact of the deaths on Iraqi society.
- Chapter 2: Background to the War on Iraq. // After Iraq: War, Imperialism & Democracy;2004, p7
Chapter 2 of the book "After Iraq: War, Imperialism & Democracy" is presented. It offers a background to the war on Iraq which was led by the U.S. in 2003. It accounts the colonial legacy and the rise of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, the 1991 Gulf War and the sanctions of the United...
- lindsey hilsum. Hilsum, Lindsey // New Statesman;10/10/2005, Vol. 134 Issue 4761, p25
Comments on U.S. military actions in Iraq. Offensive launched by the U.S. against insurgents in Haditha and other towns near the Syrian border that they control; Author's recollection of the U.S. attack on Fallujah in 2004; Belief of Sir Rupert Smith, author of "The Utility of Force: The Art of...
- Heather Raffo's Aha! Moment. // O, The Oprah Magazine;Sep2006, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p100
This article focuses on an account from an actress and playwright about how her feelings regarding the first Gulf war and the Iraq War in 2003. She was concerned about the first Gulf War because it seemed the entire world was poised to fire on Baghdad, Iraq where more than 50 of her close...
- WHO'S IN? // Time International (South Pacific Edition);4/7/2003, Issue 13, p10
The article presents information about the U.S.-led war coalition formed for the Iraq War, 2003. The coalition assembled for the war is larger than the one assembled in the first Gulf War in 1991. The White House published a list of the 49 countries which, it says, make up the current war...