ENCOUNTER IN BEAR COUNTRY
- More Than A Campsite. Fitzgerald, Dough; Harrison, Ann // New York State Conservationist;Jun2001, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p13
Focuses on camping in the Forest Preserve campgrounds of New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Details on the nature-based programs of the department; Description of a camping trip offered in the programs.
- ANIMALS AT THE LOOKOUT. // Forests, Fires, & Wild Things;1985, p16
The article presents the experiences of a U.S. forest ranger in dealing with animals in Grizzly Peak in California. Rattlesnakes were plentiful. Barefoot was a way of life at the lookout station, but the ranger warned to check the area before stepping out the door each time. The ranger also had...
- BRIEFLY. // New York State Conservationist;Oct2013, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p28
The article reports on New York State environmental conservation news. During the 2012 hunting season, 1,337 black bears were taken by New York bear hunters, while about 243,000 deer were harvested by deer hunters during the 2012-13 season. On April 26, 2013, Arbor Day, tree planting in the...
- Pataki announces acquisition of multi-town. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);02/17/97, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p12
Highlights New York State Governor George Pataki's announcement on the state's agreement to purchase the final parcel of the Multi-Town site in Suffolk County for addition to the Oak Brush Plains Edgewood State Preserve. Value of site; Endangered species in the site.
- `Cites' curbs bear trade, continues ban on ivory sales. // International Wildlife;May92, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p25
Announces that the full assembly of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) has voted to restrict the sale of American black bears and their parts in an effort to help protect endangered Asian bear species. CITES has also continued its ban on trade in ivory and other...
- Bears in the black. Lewis, Joshua // Louisiana Life;Winter1999/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p46
Probes into the effort to save the Louisiana black bear.
- The most feared species. // Outdoor Life;Dec86, Vol. 178 Issue 6, p50
Although grizzlies are the most feared species of bear, statistics prove that black bears can be even more unpredictable. A look at an animal which can change from a harmless coward to a ferocious beast in an instant.
- Pennsylvania releases new bear video. Fegely, T. // Outdoor Life;Jul92, Vol. 190 Issue 1, p7
Reports that the Pennsylvania Game Commission has produced a new video detailing the secret life of the state's largest game animal. Details on the documentary entitled `On the Trail of Pennsylvania's Black Bears.'
- Black bear. // Outdoor Life;Oct95, Vol. 196 Issue 4, p58
Presents facts regarding the black bear. Variations in color; Nature of the black bear; Bear sounds and emotion displayed; Judging a bear's size; Hibernation; Population.