- Bring back the orphanage. Forer, L.G. // Washington Monthly;Apr88, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p17
A recently retired judge in Philadelphia, Pa., argues that abused, neglected and homeless children desperately need a safe,permanent home. The government should provide permanent, well-run orphanages for the more than two million abused children who are de facto orphans. INSET: Stories of two...
- Orphans need homes. McCarthy, A. // Commonweal;1/26/90, Vol. 117 Issue 2, p38
Opinion. Calls for the reestablishment of orphanages. Foster homes; How orphanages were supported; Community involvement with orphans.
- Orphanages, pro and con. // Wilson Quarterly;Summer96, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p126
Reviews the articles on orphanages titled `The Rise and Demise of the American Orphanage,' by Dale Keiger in the April 1996 issue of `John Hopkins Magazine' and `Orphanages: The Real Story,' by Richard B. MacKenzie in the Spring 1996 issue of `The Public Interest.'
- A reunion revives the bittersweet memories of an age gone by for alumni of an Albany orphanage. Carswell, S. // People;12/11/89, Vol. 32 Issue 24, p159
Discusses the Grand Reunion of New York's Albany Home for children, one of America's first orphanages, which closed in 1959, and gives recollections from some of the 100 or so Depression era orphans who attended the reunion.
- The storm over orphanages. Van Biema, David; Blackman, Ann // Time;12/12/1994, Vol. 144 Issue 24, p58
Discounts the reference to orphanages in the Republican welfare-reform bill but looks at some social-welfare professionals' advocacy of the return of orphanages. Residential-treatment centers; Federal Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act; Foster family care; North American Council on...
- Taking care of each other. Clift, Elayne // New Moon;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p16
Presents testimonies of girls who grew up in one of Romania's Casa Copii, or Houses of Children. Average day at the orphanage; Girls's position on the efforts of Romania to join North Atlantic Treaty Organization; Meaning of cooperation for the girls inside the casa. INSET: What's new with NATO?..
- Please sir, let's have some more. Fleming, Karl // Newsweek;1/30/1995, Vol. 125 Issue 5, p12
Opinion. Comments on the angry objections raised by many to Newt Gingrich's suggestion that orphanages be reinvented and argues that orphanages can be a positive source for a good life. The author's experience being raised at the Methodist Orphanage in Raleigh, North Carolina; Why, despite its...
- Child's play. Allar, Bruce // Louisville Magazine;Aug96, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p13
Reports on the St. Joseph Orphans' Picnic scheduled on August 10, 1996 for the benefit of the orphanage St. Joseph Children's Home. Dinner prices; Raffle tickets; Contact information.
- Saving the orphans. Smolowe, Jill // Time International (South Pacific Edition);01/22/96, Issue 4, p35
Provides information on one journalist's views on Chinese orphanages. Estimated number of poor citizens in China.
- Emmanuel Honduras. Simons, Sussan // Today's Christian Woman;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p58
Presents an article related to characteristics of an orphanage at Honduras. INSET: The Need Is Great.