- Playboy Debuts Digital PPV Amid Op Angst. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;04/23/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p26
Reports on satellite television channel Playboy TV's launch of its Spice Platinum adult pay-per-view services and video-on-demand service in the United States. Reaction of cable television networks toward the shows; Reasons for the delay in the launch of the shows; Playboy TV's negotiations...
- The Cable-or-Satellite Conundrum. Aquino, Grace; Brandt, Andrew; Kandra, Anne // PCWorld;Jun2004, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p45
The article discusses factors that must be considered in choosing between satellite or cable TV. As of June 2004, satellite service has evolved into a direct competitor to the long-monopolistic cable TV industry. The leading cable companies in the U.S. are countering by expanding and beefing...
- CEA: Don't Stall the Transition. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/16/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 20, p28
Focuses on the views of Gary Shapiro, president of the Consumer Electronic Association on digital television transition in the U.S. Implications of the proposed restrictions on cable and satellite TV to subscribers not connected to pay-TV service; Statistical figures on TV subscribers in the...
- Why Cable Needs Some 'Seizures' Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;4/10/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 15, p90
Emphasizes the importance for cable television businesses in the U.S. to maximize the growth of the industry. Overview of the growth in the number of cable customers; Actions taken by telephone companies to compete with the cable industry; Importance for cable companies to introduce new...
- Remade DBS braces for '99. Colman, Price // Broadcasting & Cable;12/21/98, Vol. 128 Issue 52, p4
Focuses on the competition between direct broadcasting satellite (DBS) and cable television industries in the United States. Comments from Bear, Stearns analyst Vijay Jayant; Companies consolidating in the satellite television industry; Percentage increase of DBS subscriber in 1998.
- TV Spending Forecast to Climb by 17%. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;7/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 29, p30
Presents a forecast by PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC on advertising spending in the television distribution market in the U.S. from 2004 to 2008. Increase in shares of direct-broadcast satellite providers and wireline video providers in the multichannel video market; Percentage of increase in...
- TV The Digital Decision. // Consumer Reports;Sep2001, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p36
Presents guidelines for choosing between digital cable and satellite television (TV), or keeping regular TV service. Questions to be asked before considering a TV-service upgrade; Discussion of monthly rates of satellite service, and advantages of cable and satellite TV; Recommendations. ...
- DBS trails cable, but should grow much faster. // Communications News;Sep97, Vol. 34 Issue 9, p6
Cites The Strategis Group's report predicting the faster growth rate in the number of direct broadcast satellite (DBS) subscribers compared to cable subscribers. Number of basic cable and DBS subscribers in 1996; Projected cable operator revenue and revenue per subscriber.
- Satellite TV comes down to earth. // Consumer Reports;Jul2000, Vol. 65 Issue 7, p19
Compares the value of satellite dishes with that of cable television in the United States. Echostar; DirecTV; Quality of satellite programming; How to choose a satellite provider; Recommendations. INSET: Media giants clash, viewers suffer.