Mail-order domestic partners
- Second Circuit Denies Gay Mexican Asylum Claim. Uselton, Ruth // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Nov2007, p199
The article reports on the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals denial of asylum to a gay Mexican man, because he filed the application too late. The court also rejected his application for withholding of removal and for relief under the Convention Against Torture because he feared persecution in...
- Immigration is hot election issue. Rau, Krishna // Xtra (Toronto);10/9/2008, Issue 625, p24
The article examines why the gay community in Canada should be concerned about the amendment of the immigration laws.
- Patrick Strudwick asks why gay asylum seekers are being rejected. Strudwick, Patrick // Gay Times (09506101);Mar2011, Issue 390, p28
The author criticizes the British government for its treatment of gay asylum seekers. He details the story of a gay man from Cameroon who was persecuted in his own country only to end up in Great Britain, impoverished and ultimately deported back home. He describes how the whole asylum system...
- New Right Attack On Immigration Bill. // Advocate;12/24/81, Issue 333, p10
Reports that a direct mailing group calling itself Public Advocate is focusing on a proposed reform of U.S. immigration policy. Criticism of Representative Barney Frank, one of the cosponsors of the bill that would eliminate antigay provisions of the immigration laws; Similar attacks received...
- Immigration law in force, flood of fuits expected. Trollope, Paul // Body Politic;Apr78, Issue 42, p8
Announces that Canada's new immigration act which removes prohibitions against homosexuals entering the country will be effective on April 1, 1978. Policy on homosexuals under the old act; Groups that oppose the new act.
- Immigration Protests Staged All Over World. // Advocate;11/12/81, Issue 330, p9
Reports on the simultaneous international demonstrations held in protest of the United States immigration policy that excludes known gays. Places where the demonstrations took place.
- Way to go, Susan Davis! // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/13/2003, Issue 794, p12
Comments on California Congressmember Susan Davis' co-sponsorship of the Permanent Partners Immigration Act. Enabling of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to sponsor a same-sex partner for immigration purposes; Gay community's approval of Davis' bill.
- Davis cosponsors bill granting residency to foreign partners of same-sex couples. Cyphers, Amber L. // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/13/2003, Issue 794, p16
Reports on Congressmember Susan Davis' co-sponsorship of the Permanent Partners Immigration Act (HR 832). Enabling of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to sponsor a permanent partner for immigration purposes; Davis' concern over the ability of the federal government to enforce the...
- Gimme shelter. Burr, Chandler // Advocate;07/23/96, Issue 712, p37
Focuses on gay immigrants seeking political asylum in the United States. Case of Alla Pitcherskaia of Russia; Difference in opinions about the vulnerability of gay political asylum; Recognition of antigay persecution as grounds for asylum.