Fiber's Turning Copper Green
- The next gen of platform developers. Sweeney, Dan // America's Network;7/1/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 10, p34
Provides information on next generation hybrid fiber platforms that the cable systems operators can use for augmenting their networks to deliver business services. Components of next generation platforms; Network management aspect of the platforms.
- OFS announces new bend-optimized fibers with 200 micron diameter. // Fiber Optics Weekly Update;2/22/2013, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p5
The article offers information on AllWave FLEX and AllWave FLEX+ Bend-Optimized Single-Mode Fiber with a 200 micron coating launched by fiber optic network solutions manufacturer and supplier OFS for use in cables with higher fiber counts and in microcables where cable diameters must be minimized.
- Fiber cable fundamentals. Vokey, David // Telephony;08/17/98, Vol. 235 Issue 7, p36
Stresses the need for companies that deploy fiber optic cable to weigh often-overlooked factors, such as proper grounding and contractor dig-ups, when they choose a cable design. Cost/performance tradeoffs of design options, metallic-armored or all-dielectric; Use of direct-buried design for...
- Fiber ring races under Pacific. Harrison, Ben // Lightwave;Mar97, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p1
Reports on the completion of the $1.24 billion TPC-5 fiber-ring network which spans more than 24,000 kilometer between the United States and Japan. Cable network's ability to transmit 5 Gbits/second over one fiber pair; Network's closed loop system; Added restoration capabilities.
- Indoor/outdoor cable turns the corner. Haber, Lynn // Cabling Installation & Maintenance;Jan1998, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p39
Details on innovations in indoor/outdoor fiber optic cables. Description of loose-tube and tight-buffered indoor/outdoor cable; General Photonnics' dry-core water-blocking and gel-flooding-type products in its indoor/outdoor cables; Fiber count features of indoor/outdoor cables; Criticisms of...
- County looking to build fiber network. Miller, Jay // Crain's Cleveland Business;3/3/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p2
Reports on the plans of Cuyahoga County, Ohio, to buy dormant fiber-optic cable to link county offices with a high-speed data and voice network that would replace leased network. Cost of the plan; Recommendations of the plan; Comments of Joseph P. O'Malley, director of the county's Information...
- Hong Kong. // Telecom Asia;Mar97, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p10
Reports on the delay in the operation of a fiber optic cable that links Hong Kong and Beijing, China.
- Slow progress. Brothers, Art // America's Network;01/15/97, Vol. 101 Issue 2, p52
Focuses on the problems of installing fiber optic cables in Nevada. Historical background; Government policy; Legislation; Financial aspects; Analogy with farming.
- FLAG-ing the technical challenges. // America's Network;2/15/97, Vol. 101 Issue 4, p26
Discusses the technical challenges involved in the Fiberoptic Link Around the Globe (FLAG) project. Technology of the fiber; Manufacturers of the submarine cables; Land crossings in Egypt and Thailand.