USDA to offer school grants
- Free facts for small tracts. Damsker, Matt // Organic Gardening (08973792);May/Jun92, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p18
Looks at the US Department of Agriculture's Office for Small Scale Agriculture (OSSA). Focus on small and part-time farming operations; Free fact sheets; Information on planting, varieties, marketing, and more; Detailed how-to sheets; Gives office address; More.
- Sustainable success stories. Lang, Cheryl // Organic Gardening (08973792);Dec94, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p18
Reports on sustainable agriculture demonstrations at the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Agricultural Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland. Use of little or no pesticides for growing crops; Corn growing in compost; Profits per acre.
- New USDA plant hardiness zone map. // Horticulture;Jun90, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p12
Discusses the United States Department of Agriculture's new version of the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. Explains various additions to the map; Tells how to order it.
- USDA scholarship fund gives colleges $2.8 mil. // Jet;11/23/92, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p23
Announces that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has established a $2.8 million scholarship fund for students at 17 historically black land-grant colleges and universities. Comments from Agriculture Secretary Ed Madigan; Four-year National Scholars Program; Program devoted to study...
- The cost of deregulation. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;May92, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p3
Criticizes the decision of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) to delay for one year the deadline for new meat and poultry label. The USDA's claim that the delay would save meat and poultry producers $210 million; The $690 million which the delay will cost consumers; The Administration's...
- U.S. department of meat? // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Jun93, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p3
Criticizes the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). No publication from the USDA regarding benefits of vegetarianism; Letter to Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy; Request for publication of pamphlets, posters, videotapes and other materials on vegetarian diets.
- USDA `beefs up' school-lunch menus. // Nation's Restaurant News;5/20/96, Vol. 30 Issue 20, p16
Reports that United States Department of Agriculture will include beef for lunch on school menus during he 1996-1997 school year.
- The swampbuster swindle. Williamson, L. // Outdoor Life;Jan90, Vol. 185 Issue 1, p44
Opinion. Argues that the US Department of Agriculture is destroying the swampbuster program, designed to protect wetlands by withholding federal subsidies from farmers who drain aquatic areas and plant crops that qualify for price supports.
- The grim reapers. Williamson, Lonnie // Outdoor Life;Feb93, Vol. 191 Issue 2, p34
Examines recent mismanagement of haying and grazing on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) land. Establishment of CRP; Critics of program; How wildlife benefits of CRP have been ignored; Steps that US Department of Agriculture should take.
- National Conservation Program: A framework for cooperative action. Corcoran, E.B. // Soil & Water Conservation News;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p16
Reports on the progress the Soil Conservation Service has made in implementing the Department of Agriculture's (USDA) National Conservation Program (NCP). Principles of the NCP; Cooperative efforts by the USDA; Goals and accomplishments.