USDA's Watkins plans overhaul
- FRESH PRODUCE FOR 188 ILLINOIS SCHOOLS. // American School & University;Oct2010, Vol. 83 Issue 2, Special section p10
The article offers information on Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) that provides fresh fruits and vegetables to the students of 188 schools throughout the regular school day, in Illinois.
- Low-sodium school meals. // FDA Consumer;Apr85, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p28
Experiments in two school lunch programs in different parts of the US test the palatability and therapeutic benefit of reduced-salt diet menus. The students found no appreciable taste difference.
- Out to lunch. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Mar93, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p3
Reports on the results of the survey conducted by the US Department of Agriculture regarding the fat content of school lunches. Saturated fat content; Sodium content.
- Voice Box. // New Moon;Sep/Oct2007, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p31
The article offers insights of several teenagers about school lunch.
- No More Lunches From Home? // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;9/5/2011, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p7
The article presents opposing views whether or not to allow children to bring lunches from home.
- School lunches--how well do they meet dietary guidelines? // Child Health Alert;Jan1994, Vol. 12, p4
No abstract available.
- Healthy meals send Scottish kids running to the chippy. // Education (14637073);5/21/2010, Issue 392, p4
The article reports on the decline in school meal usage by students in Scotland between 2006 to 2009 in response to policy initiatives to cut sugar content and increase their nutritional value.
- Development and evaluation of a school intervention to increase fruit and vegetable consumption... Domel, Suzanne B.; Baranowski, Tom // Journal of Nutrition Education;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p345
Describes the development and pilot-testing of a school-based curriculum to increase fruit and vegetable (F&V) consumption among 4th and 5th grade students in Richmond County, Georgia. Profile of students; Reciprocal determinism within social cognitive theory as basis for curriculum development;...
- Innovative school lunches. // Yankee;Mar84, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p102
Timmy Sheyda's (Waterbury Elementary School, Waterbury, Vt.) innovative approach to school lunches has won the support of parents, school administrators, nutritionists, and, most important, the children eat what he cooks because they like it. Recipes for Pizza Crust & Sauce; Popcorn Balls; Carob...
- 'This Injurious Measure': Scotland and the 1906 Education (Provision of Meals) Act. Stewart, John // Scottish Historical Review;Apr99, Vol. 78, 1 Issue 205, p76
Focuses on the legislative enactment of the 1906 Education Act which laid the foundations of the school meals service in Scotland. Requirement for local authorities to provide needy children with school meals, chargeable to the rates subject to an upper limit; School medical inspection under...