Minnesota's new finance chief tackles budget, tax cuts
- St. Paul official named state's Finance Commissioner. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;01/11/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30555, p4
Reports on the appointment of Pam Wheelock to become commissioner of finance for the state of Minnesota. Job responsibilities; Challenges faced by Wheelock as finance commissioner.
- Minnesota Finance Commissioner Heads Off Into the Wild. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/9/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31446, p3
Reports the resignation of Pam Wheelock as chief financial officer for the National Hockey League's Minnesota Wild. Career background; Job responsibilities as financial officer; Career plans after the resignation.
- Gov. Davis Proposes Tax Increases to Close California Budget Gap. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;1/13/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31551, p36
Reports that California governor Gray Davis has proposed for raising taxes in the state's budget. Possible benefits of the rise in taxes; Other proposals by the governor for the budget; Need for the budget's approval.
- Nebraska Lawmakers Hike Taxes, Reject Governor's Cuts. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/15/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31365, p4
Reports the preference of legislature of tax increases over spending cuts to balance fiscal 2002ï¿½2003 budget in Nebraska. Percentage increase of the individual income tax; Repeal of the 1999 tax reduction; Lack of funds to meet a mandatory three surplus.
- The interim on financial instruments still a niggle. // Accountancy;Feb1998, Vol. 121 Issue 1254, p9
Reports on Great Britain's Inland Revenue, Department of Treasury, and the Customs and Excise Department's publication of a joint code of practice on budget consultations. Government's intention to consult on tax policy matters.
- Casinos hint at job growth woes. Sodoma, Brian // Las Vegas Business Press;7/28/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p1
Reports on the reaction of local gaming officials and tax experts on the budget passed by the Nevada Legislature in 2003. Increase on the tax imposed on the gross gaming revenues of gaming operators; Scope of the tax component of the budget; Elimination of burdensome business taxes.
- Lessons learned from Legislative session. Hunt, Lorraine // Las Vegas Business Press;7/28/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p5
Comments on the 2003 legislative budget session in Nevada concluded in July. Budget and tax legislation passed; Selective increases in some taxes; Background on the gross receipts method of taxation.
- Oil tax rears its head once more. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);03/20/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p1
Focuses on Louisiana's budget problems and tax reforms. Possibility of an oil and gas processing tax; Proposal to impose a value-added tax and a sin tax on alcohol, tobacco and gambling; Possible increase in the state tax; Supporters and opponents of the processing tax in Congress; Expected...
- Establishing more rational relations between federal and regional budgets. Semenov, G.; Tedstrom, John E. // Russian Social Science Review;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p3
Suggests ways of updating the tax-budget mechanism, the framework and financial bases of federalism in Russia. Impact of the existing structure of the redistributive processes and the existing authority in Russia's economy on relations between budgets; Budget sharing approaches; Tendencies in...