Prevalence and Prevention of Deep Venous Thrombosis of the Lower Extremities in High-Risk Pulmonary Patients
- Potential of an age adjusted D-dimer cut-off value to improve the exclusion of pulmonary embolism in older patients: a retrospective analysis of three large cohorts. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;4/30/2010, Vol. 340 Issue 7753, p962
The article discusses the study on the potential of the age adjusted D-dimer cut-off value to improve exclusion of pulmonary embolism in older patients. It mentions that the cut-off value combined with clinical probability assessment can greatly increase the proportion of older patients with...
- CITATIONS AND CLINICIANS' NOTES: PULMONARY EMBOLISM. // Current Medical Literature: Respiratory Medicine;2004, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p75
The article presents an understanding on pulmonary embolism. Low-molecular-weight heparins (LMWH) has largely superseded unfractionated heparin for the treatment of venous thromboembolic disease. LMWH was superior to unfractionated heparin in patients with isolated deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and...
- Guidelines for DVT/PE prevention scarce, survey finds. // Formulary;Sep97, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p902
Presents the survey on the formal guidelines or standing order on the use of drugs for deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) prevention. Percentage of institutions having guidelines for DVT/PE prophylaxis.
- Pulmonary embolism. Falotico, Jane Bondi // RN;Feb79, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p47
Presents information about pulmonary embolism. People at risk for pulmonary embolism; Symptoms; Treatment.
- Part II--Natural History. // British Medical Journal;5/15/1976, Vol. 1 Issue 6019, p1181
Focuses on the natural history of venous thromboembolic disease. Development of thrombosis at the independent sites in the venous system of the leg; Absence of the incidence of definite and probable pulmonary embolism after strokes; Occurrence of thrombosis from the calf.
- Fibrinogen. // Reactions Weekly;12/15/2012, Issue 1432, p25
The article describes the case of a female patient who developed pulmonary embolism during off-label use of fibrinogen concentrate (Riastap) to treat acquired hypofibrinogenaemia.
- CITATIONS AND CLINICIANS' NOTES: PULMONARY VASCULATURE. // Current Medical Literature: Respiratory Medicine;2004, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p23
Presents citations and clinicians' notes on studies on pulmonary vasculature. "Subcutaneous fondaparinux versus intravenous unfractionated heparin in the initial treatment of pulmonary embolism," by H.R. Buller, et al; "Does interferon-gamma improve pulmonary function in idiopathic pulmonary...
- Thromboembolism Prophylaxis Underused in Patients With Severe Lung Disease. Theuvenin, Frederique H. // Pulmonary Reviews;Feb2011, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p1
The article reports that patients with severe lung disease are not maximizing therapies for preventing thromboembolism. Findings based on guidelines of the American College of Chest Physicians suggest that patients with respiratory illness are at high risk for deep-venous thrombosis (DVT) and...
- Heparin prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in a patient with multiple injuries: an evidence-based approach to a clinical problem. Hill, Andrew B.; Garber, Brian; Dervin, Geoffrey; Howard, Andrew // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Aug2002, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p282
Examines the efficacy of heparin prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis in a patient with multiple injuries. Decrease of pulmonary embolism; Reduction of phlebitis and trauma; Elimination of external injuries.