Tourism that's socially and environmentally sensitive
- Going native. Broydo, Leora // Mother Jones;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p21
No abstract available.
- Survey: Travelers want services that protect environment. // Westchester County Business Journal;10/27/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 43, pM10
Reports that travelers in the United States are environment-conscious according to a report by the Travel Industry Association of America. Details of the report, 'Geotourism: The New Trend in Travel,' sponsored by National Geographic Traveler; Number of American tourists classified as geotourists.
- Green Travel. Nixon, Ron // Hispanic;May1999, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p43
Discusses ecotourism in Latin American countries. Idea that led to ecotourism in Latin America; Programs of different Latin American countries on ecotourism; Effects of ecotourism on the environment.
- Making tourism sustainable. Martin, Ann-Louise // UNESCO Sources;Feb2000, Issue 120, p10
Examines the concept of sustainable tourism aimed at protecting the environment. Struggles of small tourist destinations against mass tourism; Need for local community involvement in decisions relating to tourism; Forecast increases in international tourist numbers and income; Examples of...
- Trouble in paradise. Hutchings, Claire // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Jan1996, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p20
Features the environmental aspects of the tourist trade in small islands in the tropics. 1996 Tourism for Tomorrow Award sponsored by British Airways; David Bellamy; Lack of potable water; Environmental degradation caused by tourism; Caribbean Tourism Development Programme (CTDP). INSET:...
- CENTER FOR SAFE ENERGY: Lessons in Ecotourism. PRAGER, MELISSA // Earth Island Journal;Summer2011, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p21
The article presents a study conducted by Russian environmental leaders and the Center for Safe Energy to raise awareness on environmental conservation in responsible tourism.
- ENVIRONMENTAL RECOVERY IN THE ECOTOURISM RESOURCES IN ROMANIA. Turtureanu, Anca; Tureac, Cornelia Elena; Negrut, Vasilica; Pripoaie, Rodica; Cretu, Carmen; Modiga, Georgeta // Proceedings of the International Multidisciplinary Scientific Ge;2011, Vol. 3, p311
The authors want to emphasize in this paper the role of environmental resources in ecotourism. In previous international studies on the motivation of tourists it could be seen which the elements that interest them are: namely to travel to wild places that provide visual and unique cultural...
- Southeast Alaska Tourism Looms Large. Pardes, Joan // Alaska Business Monthly;Mar2008, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p90
The article reports on the growth of tourism in the Southeast region of Alaska. It is stated that the region is one of the state's smallest block, however it has the state's most natural wonders. According to the summer 2006 Alaska Visitors Statistics program, the region has attracted 1.2...
- Responsible Cruise Tourism: Issues of Cruise Tourism and Sustainability. Klein, Ross A // Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management;Apr2011, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p107
Cruise tourism is the fastest growing segment of leisure tourism. With its growth has come concern about the impact of cruise tourism on coastal and marine environments, local economies, and on the sociocultural nature of port communities. These three areas are key elements in analyses focused...