Chief Counsel's Profile Grows as Abuse Investigations Heat Up
- Team effort: IRS and states target tax shelters together. Russell, Roger // Accounting Today;10/20/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 19, p10
Reports on the partnership of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service with state tax officials to combat abusive tax shelters in the country. Information on the agreement that created the partnership; Motivation for creating the partnership; Terms of the partnership.
- White House discussed rollout of IRS scandal. Becker, Bernie; Sink, Justin; Schroeder, Peter // Hill;5/22/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 61, p1
The article reports on the participation of the White House's senior officials in discussion over the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) rollout on its scrutiny to conservative groups.
- Birmingham reveals IRS probe on its own. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;12/07/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30534, p6
Reports that Birmingham, Alabama officials announced that they have received a United States Internal Revenue Service letter saying the agency was going to investigate a bond refunding that The Water Works and Sewer Board of the City of Birmingham sold in 1993. Value of the refunding deal being...
- As Anderson Departs, Lawyers Offer Up Grudging Respect. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;1/3/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32540, p7
The article reports on the resignation of Charles Anderson as field operation manager of Internal Revenue Service in the U.S. The said resignation is believed to affect the tax-exempt bond audit program of the Internal Revenue Service. Various tax lawyers interviewed on Anderson's resignation...
- Attorney: IRS Scrutiny Will Reduce Number of Blind Pool Deals. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;9/19/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31723, p5
Reports on the impact of the scrutiny of blind bond pools by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on financial transactions in the U.S. Definition of blind pools; Investigation of IRS on undisclosed payments made in various transactions; Concerns of the IRS over issuers' list of potential projects.
- Voluntary Disclosure and IRS Attacks on Offshore Credit Cards. Ungerman, Josh O. // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;Apr2003, Vol. 4 Issue 7, p3
Analyzes the voluntary financial disclosures and efforts of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to uncover tax-avoidance plans involving the use of credit cards issued by offshore banks. Ned for the investigations; Impact of the disclosure policy on companies; Examples of timely voluntary...
- Ohio County Discloses Blind Pool Audit. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;2/4/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31317, p31
Reports on the disclosure by Clinton County, Ohio regarding the examination of a bond issue it sold on behalf of non-profit hospitals, for possible arbitrage violations by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Underwriter for the bond issue.
- Republicans ready another probe. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;2/15/97, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p328
Highlights the proposed congressional investigation on taxpayers' complaints of harassment by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by the Senate Finance Committee as of February 15, 1997. Authority of the Rules and Administration Committee; Allegations on the inefficiency of the IRS's computer...
- IRS launches investigation of controversial Loudoun County COP deal. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;12/08/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30535, p5
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is investigating the 1994 sale of $30 million in certificates of participation to build a government office building in Loudoun County, Virginia. Allegations regarding the certificates; Complaints by the group called Voters Insisting...