A rational approach to the medical evaluation of a child with developmental delay
- Beyond Sheltering: Teaching Children with Disabilities in China. // Ability;Dec2012/Jan2013, p56
The article focuses on the efforts of Mao Yu-yan, Xinyun Institute for Children with Mental Retardation founder, for the research and education of mentally disabled children. It states that Mao volunteered to explain the distinction of amnesia from psychosis to nurses and doctors in Beijing,...
- Preventing Mental Retardation. // Clinical Pediatrics;Dec1966, Vol. 5 Issue 12, p717
Focuses on the prevention of mental retardation. Risk factors of mental retardation; Organization that help communities mobilize their resources for low income, high-risk maternity patients; Implementation of the maternity section of Public Law 88-156 to help reduce the occurrence of mental...
- Pervasive Developmental Disorders: Consideration of Developmental Level for Diagnosis. Fussell, Jill J. // Clinical Pediatrics;Oct2005, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p727
The article describes separate cases of two children with pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) or qualitative impairments in social and communication skills, and restrictive, stereotypic behaviors and interests. Although the two children are functionally very different, each one, for his...
- Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorders. // Principal;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 88 Issue 2, p31
The article presents questions and answers related to autism and Asperger Syndrome in children and behavioral impact.
- Face and Emotion Recognition in MCDD Versus PDD-NOS. Herba, Catherine M.; De Bruin, Esther; Althaus, Monika; Verheij, Fop; Ferdinand, Robert F. // Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders;Apr2008, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p706
Previous studies indicate that Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder (MCDD) children differ from PDD-NOS and autistic children on a symptom level and on psychophysiological functioning. Children with MCDD ( n = 21) and PDD-NOS ( n = 62) were compared on two facets of social-cognitive...
- What I Love About Sarah. Kramer, Bridget // Exceptional Parent;May2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p116
Presents an article about a developmentally disabled child with mental retardation and cerebral palsy. Description of physical qualities and traits; Information on nutritional needs. INSET: MOM AND DAD'S TURN.
- Adaptive recreation. Broadrick, Tobe // Exceptional Parent;Jul97, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p40
Focuses on the efforts of the National Wheelchair Softball Association and the Minnesota State High School League, to allow children with physical disabilities to play softball. Reference to Adapted Softball, which is offered to children with mental impairments and physical disabilities;...
- New school for developmentally delayed opens doors in Ellisville. Shapiro, Mary // West County Journal;11/16/2011, Vol. 47 Issue 46, pA1
The article reports on the delayed opening of the American School for the developmentally disabled children by the end of November 2011 and will be run by Howard Park Center and Action for Autism in Ellisville, Missouri.
- RESEARCH ON DEVELOPMENTALLY DELAYED CHILDREN IN THE SOVIET UNION. Holowinsky, Ivan Z. // Journal of Special Education;Fall83, Vol. 17 Issue 3
Discusses several studies on developmentally delayed children. Characteristics of mentally retarded and average children in the Soviet Union; Factors associated with the etiology of the disorder; Problems related to diagnosis of the disorder; Attention, memory and intellectual functioning;...