More Magic in the Boxes
- Stringing the last mile. Tamanna // Telecom Asia;Mar2001, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p11
Reports the competition of installing cables to provide Net access into households in India. List of the top five players in the market; Number of subscribers to cable services; Idea of unleashing bandwidth.
- Cable Sees Progress In Interactive 'DCR' CE Devices. Dulchinos, Don // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;1/5/2006, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p101
The article discusses developments in the market for digital-cable-ready consumer electronics devices. In November 2005, Microsoft agreed to include OpenCable Unidirectional Receiver within personal computers sold as home media centers. This agreement will allow consumers to receive cable video...
- Turning Up Telephone. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;2/19/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p38
The article reports business development of Charter Communications Inc., a U.S.-based cable communication provider. The company honored a mother who became the 500,000th subscriber of the telephone service of the company. The firm reportedly doubled the number of homes who availed of their...
- Cable launch set for June 2009. // Wire Journal International;Oct2008, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p32
The article focuses on the launching of the fiber optic undersea cable to connect east Africa to Europe and Asia in June 2009. The actual relaying of the 1.28 terabits undersea cables for the Sea Cable System (SEACOM) will be set on October 2008, then the final splicing and cable sections...
- Cable Contests (Another) Bid to Increase Pole Fees. Eggerton, John // Multichannel News;10/5/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 37, p18
The article discusses the contention of the American Cable Association (ACA) against the petition of power utilities companies to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to increase the pole-attachment fees. A group of power utility companies asked FCC to make cable operators pay the telecom...
- Coming to a home near you: Multi-room DVR services. Robuck, Mike // CED;Oct2010, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p22
The article presents the author's view regarding the whole-home DVR services offered by major companies in the cable industry including AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast. He discusses the contribution and implication of multi-room DVR deployments and Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) to the industry...
- At press time. // Electronic Media;05/03/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p1
Reports developments in the television industry in the United States as of May 1999. Includes subscription rate hike by ESPN; Revelation of the WIS-TV source; Supreme Court order on the turn over of unbroadcast video of riots at Michigan State University.
- Getting through to MDUs. Brown, Karen // CED;Oct2005, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p28
Focuses on the challenges met by cable operators on multi dwelling unit (MDU) service for multi-family segment in the U.S. Importance of MDUs business for cable operators; Launching of Internet Protocol video services by telecommunication providers; Service agreements between MDUs and building...
- DirecTV adds foursomes, forecasts and more. Scully, Sean // Broadcasting & Cable;11/22/93, Vol. 123 Issue 47, p28
Announces participating channels in Hughes' DirecTv direct-broadcasting satellite's programming roster. Distribution of medical-programming Physicians Television Network; Moves by competitor United States Satellite Broadcasting (USSB).