Breaking up is hard to do
- Streamlined Stores. // License!;Sep2004, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p17
The article presents information about the streamlining operations taking place at Target and Toys "R" Us retailers. Toys "R" Us will separate its global toy operations and Babies "R" Us businesses. It also is investigating the possible sale of the global toy business and the possible spin-off...
- Why Spin-Offs Make Sense. Nash, Jeff // Money;Oct2002, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p48A
Discusses financial gains at spun-off companies. How companies that are spun-off typically improve their performance; Proposed reasons for the improvement, including an initial undervaluation of the stocks; Advice for investors.
- SDC Worldwide Mergers & Acquisitions. // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;4/19/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 16, p7
Presents charts on worldwide mergers and acquisitions according to data from Thomson Securities Data Co., as of April 19, 2004. Summary of U.S. public merger activity greater than $50 million; Divestitures greater than $50 million; Foreign targets greater than $100 million; Summary of U.S....
- ThyssenKrupp restructures. Ussler, Wolf R. // Automotive News Europe;12/11/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 25, p26
The article reports on the restructuring of the automotive unit of ThyssenKrupp. Ekkehard Schulz, chief executive officer of the company, says two automotive-chassis units, Drauz Nothelfer in Heilbronn, Germany, and Sofedit in Versailles, France, will be reorganized in the next 12 to 18 months....
- OM Divests Back-Office Offerings as Part of Revamp. Kentouris, Chris // Securities Industry News;10/6/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p8
Focuses on the move of OMHex to divest on back-office product lines. Reasons for the decision of the company to divest its OneWorld Settlement and OneWorld Securities Finance offerings; Details of the restructuring effort of the company; Financial performance of the company.
- Improving Market Spurs Firms To Unload Unwanted Businesses. Sikora, Martin // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Nov2003, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p13
Emphasizes the importance of corporate restructuring to dispose unwanted businesses. Assessment of the deals market; Advantages of the increase in the pace of divestitures; Deal disclosed by Motorola Inc.
- SDC Worldwide Mergers & Acquisitions. // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;10/10/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 38, p7
Presents information on worldwide mergers and acquisitions as of October 10, 2005. Summary of U.S. public merger activity; Information on divestitures greater than 50 million dollars; List of withdrawn deals.
- Legacy Divestitures: Motives and Implications. Feldman, Emilie R. // Organization Science;May/Jun2014, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p815
This paper investigates "legacy divestitures," the sale or spinoff of a company's original, or "legacy," business. The central tension considered in this work is that the historical presence of a firm's legacy business should simultaneously make that unit very interdependent with the company's...
- The big break-up. James, David // BRW;5/5/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 17, p69
Focuses on the pros and cons of corporate spinoffs in reference to the speculation that Telstra would be splitting into four parts. Implications for investors; Claim that break-ups would partly compensate for Australia's lack of an anti-trust regime.