Funding Needs Without the Old Bad Habits
- House Passes Budget Plan. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;2/27/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32576, p9
The article reports that New Mexico House has passed a proposed budget plan for 2008 to the Senate, where it is expected to grow as lawmakers add programs and expenditures. The $5.6-billion state budget increases state spending by 10.6% from fiscal 2007, or some $540 million. According to...
- Mississippi approves sizable chunk of debt in 1999 session. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;04/12/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30617, p32
Reports on Mississippi lawmakers' authorization of $546 million of new debt during their 1999 legislative session. Sign of Mississippi's rapid economic expansion; Aspects of the 1999 bond agenda; Highway borrowing as top priority in bond agenda.
- Democrats' Bid for Separate Debt-Hike Vote Called Unlikely. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;11/12/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32009, p4
Reports on the bid of Democrats in the U.S. House to obtain a separate vote on a proposed increase in the federal debt limit. Debate on the proposed increase in debt ceiling proposed by House Democrats; Plans of Republicans to include the debt-ceiling provision to another legislation.
- Mississippi Lawmakers Pass Three Bills Authorizing $200 Million of Debt. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;4/4/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31608, p4
Mississippi lawmakers have approved bills authorizing nearly $200 million of debt for colleges, capital expenses, and a rural economic development program. In another bond bill, the Legislature authorized the sale of about $140 million of GOs for public colleges and universities, community...
- Bill Calls for $60B in Federally Backed Debt for Affected States. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;10/4/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32231, p5
Reports on the introduction of a legislative bill which would amend the federal tax code to increase the private-activity bond volume cap for the four states affected by Hurricane Katrina ad Rita in the U.S. Coverage of the bill; Significance of the bill to the affected states; Advocates of the...
- Maine Voters on Track to Face $83M GO Question. Chang, Helen // Bond Buyer;7/29/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32185, p3
Reports that legislators will likely to approve placing a multi-million dollar of general obligation debt before voters in Maine. Arguments among Republican legislators for less debt, citing the potential military base closures looming over the state; Total amount involved in the bonding plan...
- Colombia Still On Target? // Emerging Markets Monitor;12/22/2003, Vol. 9 Issue 35, p9
Deals with the fiscal deficit targets for Colombia in 2004. Terms of its stand-by-loan programme which is supported by the International Monetary Fund; Initiatives to be modified to achieve the targeted fiscal deficit for 2004; Components of its 2004 tax bill.
- Congress Averts Fiscal Cliff and Delays Automatic Cuts. // SIECUS Developments;Winter/Spring2013, p6
The article reports on the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 or the fiscal cliff bill failing to address the $1.2 trillion over 10 years in saving necessary to avoid sequestration and negotiations related to raising national debt limit.
- West Virginia Parkways Agency Pushing for Higher Bond Cap. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;3/11/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31839, p1
Reports on efforts of the West Virginia Parkways Authority to increase the amount of debt it can issue so it can sell more bonds to accelerate road improvement projects. Permission of issuance of bonds as existing debt is paid off; Plans for a bill that would permit the Parkways Authority to...