School Fight: Court vs. Governor vs. Legislature
- Kansas Commissioner Decries Court Decision on Anthem. // Best's Review;Jul2002, Vol. 103 Issue 3, p96
Reports the reaction of insurance commissioner Kathleen Sebelius for the decision of the court to deny the proposed merger in Kansas. Plan to file a motion to transfer the case from the state Court of Appeal to the Supreme Court; Effort to challenge the rulings of judge Terry L. Bullock.
- Kansas Governor Threatens Special Session for School Financing Issues. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/22/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32344, p32
The article reports on the need for Kansas Legislature to adopt a multi-year expanded school financing plan by the end of March 2006 or come back in the summer of 2007 for the second special session in a row according to Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius. According to the governor, it is very...
- HHS announces Åš162M in awards to advance meaningful use of health IT. // Urology Times;Apr2010, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p38
The article reports on the announcement of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the awards given to U.S. states to help them facilitate health information exchange (HIE) and advance health information technology (IT).
- Kansas Weighs Fixing Flawed School-Funding Formula. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/23/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31683, p3
Reports that lawmakers in Kansas are considering another effort to fix a school-funding formula that has left large urban districts insolvent while small urban districts have enough money. Plans of Senate President Dave Kerr and House Speaker Doug Mays to create a committee to study the funding...
- Kansas Senate Fails to Pass School Finance Measures; Regular Session Ends. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;4/3/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32352, p34
The article reports on the failure of the Kansas Senate to pass a school finance plan. Some legislators are proposing a special session to address the issue. The Legislature will have a recess. Lawmakers will return April 26, 2006. Governor Kathleen Sebelius supported a House measure that will...
- School Session. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;2/17/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31822, p37
Reports on the deliberation of the lawmakers to equalize school funding formula in Kansas. Warning of Governor Kathleen Sebelius to the legislators; Declaration of the school funding formula as unconstitutional by district Judge Terry Bullock.
- School Tax Shot Down. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;3/2/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31832, p27
Reports that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' plan to solve her state's school funding woes was defeated in the Senate. Republican leaders' development of a school finance plan that would not require a tax increase.
- Kansas Gov.'s Higher-Ed Plans Under Fire. // Community College Week;3/28/2005, Vol. 17 Issue 17, p12
Reports on the criticism of the proposals of Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius for an increase in higher-education spending. Plans of House Republicans to raise funding for K-12 programs; Purpose of the deductions to be made by Republican leaders from the proposed budget increase of Sebelius;...
- Few Details on Aid Fix In Governor's Address. Tonn, Jessica L. // Education Week;1/19/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 19, p18
The article informs that Governor Kathleen Sebelius' 2005 State of the State Address did not include specific recommendations for dealing with the school finance dilemma facing Kansas legislators. On January 3, 2005, the Kansas Supreme Court unanimously declared the state's school aid system...