Turning to Tobacco to Fund Education
- New Regime Ready to Battle Budget Woes. Daulerio, A. J. // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p22
Focuses on the state of public finance in Puerto Rico, led by Governor Anibal Acevedo-Vila. Financial challenges of the commonwealth brought about by a bloated budget deficit; Plan to issue debt for a new coliseum and a convention center; Top bond issuers and the commonwealth's credit rating;...
- Priority: Letting Air Out of the Deficit Balloon. O'Brien, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p23
Focuses on the state of public finance in Rhode Island. Budget problems faced by the state; Effort of Governor Donald L. Carcieri to share the cost of health care premiums among state employees; Top bond issuers and spending priorities of the state; Bond ratings of the state.
- Big Deficit = Big Cuts, Minimal Capital Budget. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p16
Focuses on the state of public finance in New Jersey at the start of fiscal year 2005. Severe budget deficit faced by the state as well as rising health care and medicare costs; Contents of the budget proposed by acting Governor Richard Codey to help close the gap; Top bond issuers in the state...
- Despite Gains, the Game Remains the Same. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p18
Focuses on the state of public finance in New York. Upgrade of the state's bond rating by Moody's Investor Service; Budget proposed by Governor George Pataki which includes plans to close the budget deficit; Continued use of non-recurring resources and high-risk debt practices; Top bond issuers...
- Looking for a Triple-A While Fixing Medicaid. Larkin, Gary // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p24
Focuses on the state of public finance in Vermont, led by Governor Jim Douglas. Revision of the state's general fund revenue forecasts for both fiscal 2005 and 2006; Percentage increase in inheritance and estate tax revenue; Top bond issuers and the state's spending priorities; Credit rating of...
- Pittsburgh Not a Likely Candidate for Act 47 Help, Official Says. D'Ambrosio, Gillian // Bond Buyer;11/5/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31755, p28
Reports on the disqualification of Pittsburgh for filing as a distressed community under a Pennsylvania statute Act 47. Solicitation for bankruptcy protection; Decline of the general obligation bond rating; Occurrence of budget deficits.
- Warning for California. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;12/18/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31784, p1
Focuses on the economic condition of bond rating in California. Indication of budget deficit; Market resistance to short-term debt; Fund for the current budget gap.
- Moody's, Citing Progress, Is No Longer Negative on Nassau. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/10/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30928, p4
Reports on the removal of the negative outlook from Nassau County, New York's bond rating. State intervention to address the county's structural budget deficits; Progress towards fiscal balance.
- Fitch Lowers Lutheran Social Services After Texas Budget Cuts. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;8/29/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31709, p3
Reports that Dallas, Texas-based securities rating agency, Fitch Ratings, on August 28, 2003 downgraded 12 million dollars of bonds issued on behalf of Lutheran Social Services of the South (LSSS), four notches to B-minus from BB after the agency's already-tenuous bottom-line was hit to the tune...