Repeal of Alabama's One-Cent Sales Tax Becomes Political Football
- Puerto Rico Senate Rejects Sales Tax Plan; Leaders Fail to Move on Bond Bill. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;5/4/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32622, p3
The article reports on the rejection of a bill to implement a 1.5 percent local sales tax by the Senate in Puerto Rico. The legislative leaders refused to move on a $500 million fiscal 2007 bond bill without passing the tax measure. The bill was rejected by lawmakers on a 17-to-9 vote. Under the...
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;6/9/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31652, p6
Presents information on status of bond-related legislative measures in the U.S. as of June 9, 2003. Proposed law regarding emergency securities response; Bond programs for which Indian schools are eligible; Situation in which Indian tribes can issue tax-exempt bonds.
- Puerto Rico Senate Likely to Approve Bond Bill, But House Remains Split. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;10/9/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32729, p44
The article reports on the proposed approval of the bond bill by Puerto Rican senators. Officials predicted that the $450 million fiscal 2008 bond bill will be pass in the Senate though most likely it will be blocked by congressmen. There's a little hope that the bill will pass in the lower...
- Wisconsin studying ad, service taxes. Colford, Steven W. // Advertising Age;3/7/1994, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p48
This article reports on the approval of a bill to end subsidizing Wisconsin's education system with property tax revenue. Wisconsin lawmakers are, instead, wrestling with an idea to subsidize the state's education system with proceeds of an expanded sales tax on advertising and other business...
- Oklahoma Lawmakers Expect to Pass $500M Higher Ed Bill Quickly. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, p31
Reports on the higher education bond bill passed by the House in Oklahoma. Parties involved in the negotiation of the bond bill; Use of lottery revenues for debt service for the bonds; Outlook of rating agencies on the bonds.
- Arkansas Lawmakers Offer Tobacco Bond Bill at Special Session. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/6/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32355, p4
The article reports on the agreement of Arkansas lawmakers to a legislation adding 132.5 million dollars to the state's public education budget. The legislators also received committee approval for tobacco bond issuance. Representative Daryl Pace, authored House Bill 1021 and has gained 86 House...
- Sales Tax Simplification Bills Introduced in Nebraska, Wyoming. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;01/26/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31065, p4
Reports on the legislation aimed at simplifying the United States' existing sales and use tax system to permit the taxation of out-of-state sales. Introduction of the tax simplification legislation in Nebraska and Wyoming; Number of states joining in the Streamlined Sales Tax Project; Caution...
- No one Issue 2. // Crain's Cleveland Business;04/20/98, Vol. 19 Issue 16, p10
Opinion. Indicates that Ohio voters should reject the Issue 2, the proposed 20 percent increase in the state sales tax. Insight on the disadvantages of the proposal; Conditions under the Issue 2 proposal; Premise of the proposal.
- MICHIGAN: Transport Debate Begins. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/6/2013, Vol. 383 Issue 33857, p9
The article offers information on a legislative bill that has introduced to ask the voters of Michigan to increase the state sales tax for generating new money to fund the state's transportation infrastructure project.