S.F. Bay Bridge Retrofit Overruns Spawn Plan for $400M CP Deal
- Unexpected Bay Bridge Crack Slightly Delays Reopening. Carlsen, Robert // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/14/2009, Vol. 263 Issue 9, p94
The article reports on the 90-minute delay in the reopening of the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge in California in September 8, 2009 due to a crack found in the east section. The state Department of Transportation inspection crews found a crack in an eyebar located on another section of the...
- Caltrans Revises Bid Process To Attract More Firms to Project. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;11/20/2006, Vol. 257 Issue 20, p4
This article reports that the California Department of Transportation has revised the bidding process for an underwater cable relocation project as part of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. The revised bid process will create more opportunity for multiple contractors to participate by moving...
- California funds pulled. // International Construction;Apr97, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p90
Announces that California Governor Pete Wilson has withdrawn his offer to provide state highway funds to help pay for the replacement and retrofit of San Francisco Bay area bridges.
- Bay-Delta future hangs on climate, land-use and population. // Western Farm Press;11/19/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 25, p14
The article reports on the study by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) scientists that investigates how California's interconnected San Francisco Bay and Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta is expected to change from 2010-2099 in response to fast and moderate climate warming scenarios.
- Grief and questions surround CA tragedy. // Filipino Reporter;5/10/2013, Vol. 41 Issue 23, p1
This article reports on questions and grief surrounding the limousine fire that occurred along the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge in San Francisco Bay, California. The incident killed five women who are from the Philippines. The incident is still under investigation. Personal background of the victims...
- Golden Gate Bridge. Case, Joy // Let's Take a Look at California;2016, p1
This article presents general information on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco Bay in California. It features soaring towers and sweeping cables. It is a symbol of architectural beauty. The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most famous bridges in the world. The Golden Gate Bridge was...
- San Fran's East Bay Bridge Coming Down, in Sections. Blair, Scott // ENR: Engineering News-Record;2/22/2016, p10
The article focuses on the completed demolition of the East Bay Bridge truss in San Francisco, California on February 5, 2016 by joint-venture contractor CEC-Silverado. Topics include how the contractor and owner Caltrans mitigate environmental and worker risk by removing the truss in sections,...
- Web Crushing Capacity of Hollow Rectangular Bridge Piers. Hines, Eric M.; Seible, Freider // ACI Structural Journal;Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 101 Issue 4, p569
This paper outlines an approach to assessing the horizontal shear capacity of the hollow rectangular bridge piers designed to support three new toll bridges in the San Francisco Bay Area under seismic loads. The approach focuses on the piers' capacity in diagonal compression, or their "web...
- BATA to Sell $814M of Revenue Bonds. Chin, Tonya // Bond Buyer;11/19/2014, Issue 34213, p1
San Francisco's toll bridge agency is planning to sell $814 million of refunding and revenue bonds next month.