Let the Voting Begin
- School Bond Plan Shelved as Calif. Session Ends. Keller, Bess // Education Week;9/26/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p22
Reports that California legislators have shelved a referendum for a school bond plan. Allocation of government funds for the construction of school buildings; Expansion of aid to low-performing schools; Extension of time before the state intervenes such schools.
- Statewide Property Tax Still Part of N.H. School Funding Plan. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;01/23/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31062, p6
Reports the plans of Governor Jeanne Shaheen to include property tax to the public school funding plan in New Hampshire. Account of the court ruling on statewide property tax; Announcement of the school funding plan of Shaheen; Appointment of a commission to study the school funding crisis;...
- Lake Oswego, Ore. Voters to Weigh $85 Million for School Improvements. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;08/18/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30957, p3
Reports that voters in Lake Oswego, Oregon, will decide in November 2000, whether to create additional property taxes to pay for the construction of a new high school and other district improvements. Remodeling and improvement of nine elementary and two junior high schools in the district;...
- Proposed Changes Seen Altering Arkansas Bond Market. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/10/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31612, p3
Reports on a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow the state to assume all of the outstanding debt of school districts. Imposition of statewide property tax; Sale of Arkansas school bond issues; Decision on the local control of school districts on the facilities.
- Neb. lawmakers back new caps on property taxes. Archer, Jeff // Education Week;4/17/96, Vol. 15 Issue 30, p11
Looks at the impact of a cap on property taxes imposed by Nebraska legislature on school building construction plans in Murray, Nebraska. Apprehension over anti-tax sentiments; Limits on school districts' spending.
- Tax Limits, Bonds, Board Races on Local Ballots. Bradley, Ann; Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;10/28/1992, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p5
The article focuses on school-related fiscal issues that will figure prominently in local elections throughout the U.S. in November 1992. School districts and taxpayer's associations are asking to approve a school bond referendum to reconstruct city schools and to control the increase of...
- Aging West Virginia Keeps Hitting the Lottery for Schools. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;11/1/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31256, p50
Focuses on issues confronting education officials concerning the finance of school construction bonds in West Virginia. Impetus to the reluctance of the population to support bond issues for schools; Reliance of schools on the use of lottery proceeds; Impact of a school bond election on...
- For 1st time in 17 years, Chicago to sell bonds for school facilities. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;4/24/96, Vol. 15 Issue 31, p8
Reports that the Chicago school district is selling bonds that will pay for the renovation and building of schools. Improvement of the districts finances since its bankruptcy in 1979.
- Californians warned of future tax hikes. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p1A
Focuses on the initiative to lower voter threshold required for local school bonds approval in California. Potential impact on property taxes and local fiscal costs; Drop in support for the move based on a poll by the Public Policy Institute of California; Identification of schools as the most...