Plans Look to Leave No Wheelchair Behind
- Emergency Preparedness for Persons with Disabilities: Implications for Rehabilitation Administrators. Sprong, Matthew E.; Lewis, Terri A.; Soldner, James L.; Koch, D. Shane // Journal of Rehabilitation Administration;2011, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p27
Rehabilitation administrators can play a key role in preparing persons with disabilities to be prepared for disaster events. Due to the occurrence of recent high profile disasters in the United States, increasing emphasis has been placed on emergency management at all levels. The four primary...
- It's about time. Nash, Silvia; Russell, Lori // Horse & Rider;Nov93, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p11
Suggests the use of a white ribbon to identify a horse being handled by a visually impaired rider. Tradition of tying a red ribbon in the tail of a horse that kicks; Added margin of safety for persons with visual impairment.
- Sensory Sojourn. Taylor, Danielle // Parks & Recreation;Dec2014, Vol. 49 Issue 12, p12
The article offers information on a sensory trial at the Patapsco Valley State Park in Maryland for people with disabilities. It informs that the trail was built by the Maryland Department of Natural Resource's employment program Conservation Job Corps with the efforts of project director Fred...
- Aid for Japan Disaster Victims Proves Challenging. // New Mobility;May2011, Vol. 22 Issue 212, p10
The article reports on the challenges in providing aid to the Japanese disabled victims of the March 2011's earthquake and tsunami due to geographical distance and language in Japan.
- DISABILITY STANDARDS. Cousins, Alison // Fire Safety Engineering;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p32
The article focuses on the standard BS 5588 part 8 for refuge area, an area of a building where disabled people awaits for assistance in case of an emergency. It states that the standard provides details on the processes and procedures that need to be in place to manage the evacuation of...
- Recognition for domestic sprinkler campaign. // Fire Safety Engineering;Mar2008, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p10
The article reports on the recognition of the sprinkler system campaign from the Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority in England. It notes that the sprinkler system is used as a fire safety device in the homes of vulnerable people. It likewise mentions that the authority was given a...
- 'BEYOND THE CHAIR' SKIN PROTECTION. VOGEL, BOB // New Mobility;Dec2013, Vol. 24 Issue 243, p36
The article offers tips for people with some form of paralysis on how to protect their skin while having an activities outside their wheelchair. A suggestion on the need to consider going to a padded raised toilet seat when sitting on the hard surface to help avoid pressure sores is made. A...
- Editorial. McIntosh, Barbara; Whittaker, Andrea // Living Well;Apr2005, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p2
Introduces several articles on services provided for disabled people published in the 2005 issue of the journal "Living Well."
- New Deal for disabled people. // People Management;2/5/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p16
Cites details of the New Deal program for the disabled people in Great Britain, as announced by Alan Howarth, equal opportunities minister.