- Successful public education: Starting from scratch. White, Becki // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p30
The article presents questions and answers related to public fire safety education program including how to start the program, where to get the money and supplies, and how to get into the classrooms and community groups to teach the program.
- SOMETIMES OIL AND FIRE DO MIX. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Jun2012, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p38
The article presents information about the partnership between the Shell Oil Co. and the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute at the University of Kansas, Kansas. It mentions that the Fire Training School will teach 50 volunteer firefighters from Harper and Barbar countries. Shell donated...
- 50 YEARS SLOW & STEADY. Donner, Larry D. // Fire Chief;Jun2006, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p50
The article focuses on the changes in the fireground practices for the last 50 years in the U.S. The changes could be observed in terms of training, technologies, fireground capabilities and methodologies of operations. The author reflects that the most crucial advances in the department is its...
- Vision 20/20 Focus: Enhance Firefighter Mission of Saving Life and Property. // Fire Engineering;Jan2010, Vol. 163 Issue 1, p36
The article focuses on the project called Vision 20/20: National Strategies for Fire Loss Prevention launched in the U.S. in 2007. The main goal of the project was to develop a national strategic agenda for the prevention of fire loss. The strategies adopted by the Steering Committee of the...
- Firemen of the High Seas. Paxton, Harry T. // Saturday Evening Post;10/9/1943, Vol. 216 Issue 15, p26
The article presents information on improvements in fighting fires in naval vessels of the U.S. Army. Fire-fighting schools have been established since the start of the war. Students are being taught to use mechanical foam in responding to oil and gasoline fires. The author expects that...
- Stay Current on Fire Safety Education. KIURSKI, TOM // Fire Engineering;Jan2010, Vol. 163 Issue 1, p111
The article offers tips for firefighters on factors that need to be considered when teaching the public about fire safety. It advises them to clean and prepare the fire station, trucks and equipment for basic station tours. Also proposed is to bring the firehouse to the community through school...
- TRAIN TO PLAY. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;May2007, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p74
An interview with Assistant Deputy Fire Commissioner of the Bureau of Operations of the Chicago Fire Department Robert Hoff is presented. When asked on the move of the fire department to be a progressive city department, he revealed their plans to teach firefighters with the use of modern...
- Detectors save lives. // Current Health 1;Dec95 1 of 2, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p1
Presents activities on family fire escape plans. Making a graph of how many homes have working smoke detectors; Drawing a map of the family's escape plan; Assigning to take the maps home and hold a drill with the family; Review and discussion questions on safety measures for fires.
- IFSAC seeks comments on accreditation standards. // Fire Engineering;Jun96, Vol. 149 Issue 6, p48
Reports on the development of accreditation standards for post-secondary degree programs for fire prevention and extinction in the United States by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). Contact information for a copy of the proposed accreditation procedures.