Row escalates as CoSteel digs in over recognition
- Tempered steel. Leahy, Michael // People Management;11/7/1996, Vol. 2 Issue 22, p28
Contends Hugh Billot's account on union derecognition at CoSteel Sheerness and describes the human consequences of the move. Discussion on Billot's general overview of industrial relations; Results of a survey commissioned by CoSteel and undertaken by the Institute of Work Psychology at the...
- "What is an Open Shop"? // America;2/26/1921, Vol. 24 Issue 19, p456
The author discusses the different opinions on the definition of an "open shop." The Bethlehem Steel Corporation declares that an "open shop" implies a fight upon the unions throughout their entire industry. Mr. Cheney, Secretary of the Erectors' Association, mentions that an "open shop" is a...
- The Steel Companies Revolt. // America;1/19/1935, Vol. 52 Issue 15, p343
The article discusses the steel companies stand on collective bargaining and employee unions. In a decision made by the National Steel Labor Relations Board on January 8, 1935, the board granted a local union's plea for an open election on claims that a plan implemented by Illinois Steel Works...
- Grave Issues in Steel. // America;1/9/1960, Vol. 102 Issue 14, p412
The author reflects on the disputes between the eleven basic steel producers and the United Steelworkers of America. It notes that the dispute is headed for U.S. Congress in order to decide to which the President is bound by law to refer the issue. It notes that the government intervention in...
- No-strike contract at Armco Steel. Cimini, Michael H. // Monthly Labor Review;Jun90, Vol. 113 Issue 6, p68
Reports on a recent four-year agreement between Armco Steel Co. LP and the Armco Employees Independent Federation. Key terms of the contract; Focus on job security in exchange for a no-strike agreement.
- Business alloys. Billot, Hugh // People Management;10/10/1996, Vol. 2 Issue 20, p38
Explains why CoSteel Sheerness aroused the wrath of the ILO through derecognising its unions and describes its dramatic improvement in business efficiency. Condition of United Kingdom businesses in 1990s; Principles behind the strategy of CoSteel; Performance trends and benefits of the strategy...
- CoSteel ruling imminent. // People Management;3/19/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p12
Reports that an industrial tribunal will rule on whether CoSteel Sheerness has unfairly dismissed Joe Davey, the plant's former union branch secretary.
- Ironworkers Provide Solution to Specialized Welding Needs at Plant Vogtle. // Welding Journal;Feb2012, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p11
The article presents information on the culmination of a recent Regional Advisory Board grant of 30,000 dollars in Georgia, as announced by the Ironworker Management Progressive Action Cooperative Trust (IMPACT) and Iron Workers Local 709.
- Iron Workers Local 396 hawks papers for Old Newsboys. // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;11/24/2011, Vol. 75 Issue 17, p3
The article reports that the Iron Workers Local 396 has joined the annual charity effort of the journal "Old Newsboys" sponsored by the "Suburban Journals" to raise money for children's charities.