COMMENTARY: Atorvastatin reduced major cardiovascular disease events in type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Statins yield CV benefits for patients with type 2 diabetes. // Geriatrics;Sep2004, Vol. 59 Issue 9, p33
The article focuses on the benefits of statins to cardiovascular (CV) patients. Physician Helen Colhoun reported that atorvastatin has been shown to reduce the risk of a first major CV event in patients with type 2 diabetes. She presented the results of the Collaborative Atorvastatin Diabetes...
- Intensive statin therapy, compared with moderate dose, increases risk of new onset diabetes but decreases risk of cardiovascular events. Rajpathak, Swapnil N. // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2012, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p55
The article discusses the comparison of intensive statin therapy with moderate dose that increases the risk of new onset diabetes but lowers the risk of cardiovascular (CVD) events. It mentions that meta-analyses of randomised trials have newly recommended that making use of statin is associated...
- Statin Therapy May Reduce HD Patients' CV Risks. // Renal & Urology News;May2011, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p5
The article discusses a study which reveals that statin therapy may reduce the risk of all-cause mortality events in hemodialysis (HD) patients, such as cardiovascular (CV) diseases.
- Statins in patients with diabetes. Kirchner, Jeffrey // Patient Care;Nov2004, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p70
Focuses on a study on the effectiveness of cardiovascular disease prevention with the use of statin in patients with type 2 diabetes without elevated LDL-cholesterol levels. Number of participants in the study; Comparison of patient deaths in the placebo group and the statin group; Implications...
- Cochrane review group responds to Abramson and colleagues' article on statins in low risk people. Huffman, Mark; Taylor, Fiona; Ebrahim, Shah; Abramson, John D.; Rosenberg, Harriet G.; Jewell, Nicholas; Wright, James M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal;3/8/2014, Vol. 348 Issue 7948, p26
The article presents the response of Mark Huffman and colleagues to the Cochrane Review on the use of statins as initial prevention for cardiovascular disease which was published in an article in the "British Medical Journal" and the corresponding response of the critics in defense of their...
- Statin use: Expert Alert Dr Tom Marshall. // Podiatry Review;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 71 Issue 5, p33
No abstract available.
- Should statins be prescribed to people at low risk of cardiovascular disease? Abramson, John D.; Rosenberg, Harriet G.; Jewell, Nicholas; Wright, James M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal;10/26/2013, Vol. 347 Issue 7930, p15
The article argues that statins should not be prescribed for people with a 10 year risk of less than 10 percent of cardiovascular disease. The authors disagree with the changes in the 2013 Cochrane review of primary prevention with statins. He highlights the limitations of data and discusses the...
- The new NICE lipid modification guidelines and their implications for diabetes care. Kirby, Mike // Diabetes & Primary Care;2014, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p248
No abstract available.
- Results from the ACCORD Lipid Study. // MD Conference Express;May2010, p11
The article discusses the results of the Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) Lipid Study, which was presented in the American College of Cardiology (ACC) 59th Annual Scientific Session. It says that the ACCORD Lipid Study does not encourage the use of combined statin and...