Mechanisms Contributing to Arrhythmogenesis During Early Myocardial Ischemia, Subsequent Reperfusion, and Chronic Infarction
- THE EFFECTS OF CHRONIC VENTRICULAR PACING OF THE HUMAN CONDUCTION SYSTEM. Gould, Lawrence; Reddy, C. V. R.; Gomprecht, Robert F. // Angiology;Mar1975, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p252
Six cardiac patients had His bundle electrograms obtained prior to ventricular pacing. Hours to days after constant pacing, repeat His bundle electrograms were obtained. The H-Q interval increased after pacing in 5 of the 6 patients. The average H-Q interval of 55.8 msec increased to the post...
- Self-Terminating Ventricular Fibrillation During Variant Angina. Cafri, Carlos; Ilia, Reuben; Battler, Alexander // Angiology;Jul1998, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p581
The authors present a case report of self-terminating ventricular fibrillation during an episode of variant angina. The causes of ventricular fibrillation in this disorder and the possible mechanisms for its rare spontaneous interruption are discussed.
- Cardiac Arrest in a Physician-Directed Cardiac Rehabilitation Program: A Clinical and Angiographic Profile of Two Cases. Rothfileld, D.; Werres, R.; Rommer, T. C.; Pongpoonsuksri, V. // Angiology;Aug1980, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p576
Two cases of ventricular fibrillation occurring during a physician-directed exercise program are described. Both were successfully resuscitated. No single clinical parameter can predict which patient is at increased risk for exercise-induced ventricular fibrillation. We conclude that all cardiac...
- PRECISE VENTRICULAR DEFIBRILLATION (VF) THRESHOLD ASSESSMENT USING ONLY THREE FIBRILLATION INDUCTIONS--THE WESSEX PROTOCOL. Paisey, J. R.; Yue, A. M.; Betts, T. R.; Morgan, J. M.; Roberts, P. R. // Heart;May2004 Supplement 2, Vol. 90, pA21
This article focuses on a study related to precise ventricular defibrillation (VF) threshold assessment using only three fibrillation inductions. Ventricular defibrillation threshold (DFT) assessment in clinical studies is usually limited by the ethical requirement to limit VF inductions. The...
- Outcomes After Ventricular Fibrillation Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: Expanding the Chain of Survival. Bunch, T. Jared; Hammill, Stephen C.; White, Roger D. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Jun2005, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p774
Coronary heart disease is the most common cause of death in the United States, with ventricular fibrillation (VF) the most common initial rhythm when cardiac disease causes arrest. Survival after VF out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) depends on a sequence of events called the chain of...
- The tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth: can dental pain ever be the sole presenting symptom of a myocardial infarction? A systematic review. // British Dental Journal;6/13/2014, Vol. 216 Issue 11, p639
Despite frequent claims to the contrary, there is little evidence that dental pain could be the only symptom for cardiac insufficiency.
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD) enables survival during 7 h of sustained ventricular fibrillation. Salzberg, Sacha P.; Lachat, Mario L.; Zünd, Gregor; Turina, Marko I. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Aug2004, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p444
We describe the case of a patient implanted with a DeBakey left ventricular assist device (LVAD) as bridge to transplant who survived 7 h of ventricular fibrillation. He was successfully converted into a stable sinus rhythm.
- Development of Device Therapy for Ventricular Arrhythmias Holley, Loraine K. // Heart, Lung & Circulation;Jun2007, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p162
The past 25 years have seen the implantable cardioverter defibrillator emerge as the treatment of choice for ventricular arrhythmias with reduction in size but increased therapeutic options. Understanding the complex mechanisms of ventricular arrhythmias and defibrillation in normal and diseased...
- Coronary Arteritis. Brooks, Matthew J.; Iyer, Ravi // New England Journal of Medicine;8/16/2012, Vol. 367 Issue 7, p658
The article describes a case of coronary arteritis in a 25-year-old female patient. The woman, who had just undergone cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation, was brought to the hospital and was thereafter successfully resuscitated and cooled. Her serial electrocardiography showed marked...