California bill stirs debate over Indian role in debt issues and casinos
- Spending bill would kill E.D.'s Indian-ed. programs. Schnaiberg, Lynn; Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;7/12/95, Vol. 14 Issue 40, p19
Looks into the possibility of eliminating US Education Department programs for American Indian students under a spending plan approved by the House Appropriations Committee. Stipulations of the formula-grant program; Allegations of program duplication; Johnson-O'Malley iAct's sphere of influence.
- PReDATORY LeNDING Heats Up. Demuth, Jerry // Mortgage Banking;Sep2000, Vol. 60 Issue 12, p18
Addresses legislative issues surrounding predatory lending across the United States. Reasons cited for the failure of the bills; Provisions of the antipredatory lending legislation in North Carolina; Action taken by city officials in Chicago, Illinois; Aspects of predatory lending. INSETS: MBA...
- Mortgage Reform Gets Teed Up for Congressional Debate This Year. // National Mortgage News;01/08/2001, Vol. 25 Issue 15, p2
Reports on the prospects for legislation on mortgage reform and predatory lending in the United States for 2001. Senate hearings planned to address predatory lending issues; Consumer protection laws being sought for revision; Plans of the House in tackling mortgage reform.
- Taking A Bite From Predators. Ortiz, Lauralee // Credit Union Journal;7/7/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p1
Reports on the impact of the anti-predatory lending law in North Carolina. Protection of consumers; Change in subprime refinance loans; Decline in number of loans with predatory characteristics.
- D.C. to Take Stand on U.S. Predator Law. Heller, Michele // American Banker;5/5/2003, Vol. 168 Issue 85, p3
Reports on the decision of the District of Columbia Council in South Carolina to vote on a resolution opposing federal preemption of state and local laws aimed at abusive home loan lending. Provisions of the resolution; Sponsor of the resolution.
- PMSR included in budget package. // Mortgage Banking;Jul93, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p11
Reports on the House of Representatives' decline to exempt purchased mortgage servicing rights (PMSR) from higher taxes on intangible assets. Part of a comprehensive tax and budget package; Increase of taxes on PMSR by including the assets in a 14-year amortization schedule for all types of...
- More up-front cash may be needed. // Mortgage Banking;Jul93, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p11
Reports on the implications of the proposed House Resolution 27 on mortgage lenders. Additional up-front cash for consumers in buying a home; Provisions of the bill.
- IRS unlikely to tax OMSRs. // Mortgage Banking;Nov93, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p11
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is not likely to tax originated mortgage servicing rights (OMSRs) as a result of a possible new accounting standard. Bruce Schnelwar, executive vice president of Margaretten & Company, Perth Amboy, New Jersey; Financial Accounting Standards Board...
- New court opinion on yield spread premiums. // Mortgage Banking;Mar97, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p7
Reports on the legal opinion handed down by US Federal District Court Judge Bryan in Alexandria, Virginia saying that the payment of a yield spread premium is a referral fee that is prohibited. Granting of a lender's motion of clarification; Granting of the lenders' motion for leave; Filing of...