BIOLOGIC PROPERTIES OF VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUM
- THE ADHESION OF LEUCOCYTES TO VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUM. McGoyern, V. J.; Bloomfield, D. // Australian Journal of Experimental Biology & Medical Science;Apr1963, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p141
Injury, traumatic or by injection of chemical substances, to the adventitia of the rat's femoral vein was followed after 1% hours by aggregation of polymorphonuclear leucocytes to the apparently normal endothelial surface of the vessel. Sub-thrombotic injury to the endothelium, however, was...
- Tissue engineering: Creation of long-lasting blood vessels. Koike, Naoto; Fukumura, Dai; Gralla, Oliver; Au, Patrick; Schechner, Jeffrey S.; Jain, Rakesh K. // Nature;3/11/2004, Vol. 428 Issue 6979, p138
The construction of stable blood vessels is a fundamental challenge for tissue engineering in regenerative medicine. Although certain genes can be introduced into vascular cells to enhance their survival and proliferation, these manipulations may be oncogenic. We show here that a network of...
- EFFECT OF GELATIN ON THE VASCULARITY OF THE FINGER. Mulinos, Michael G.; Kadison, Ellen D. // Angiology;Apr1965, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p170
Electrical impedance fluctuations were recorded by the 2-electrode instruments at 50-kc frequency, using the middle finger of the bands of normal subjects. Impedance measurements following the drinking of 7.0 gm of gelatin in water were made and compared to records obtained after the drinking of...
- Basement membrane biosynthesis as a target for developing inhibitors of angiogenesis with anti-tumor properties. Maragoudakis, Michael E.; Missirlis, Eleftheria; Karakiulakis, George D.; Sarmonica, Mariana; Bastakis, Maria; Tsopanoglou, Nikos // Kidney International;Jan1993, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p147
Basement membrane (BM) exerts profound influence on endothelial cell (EC) behavior. In addition BM is a structural element of blood vessels; in fact at some point of their formation blood vessels are bare EC tubes lined with the BM produced by these EC. We thought, therefore, that a quantitative...
- The parietal podocyte: A study of the vascular pole of the human glomerulus. Gibson, Ian W.; Downie, Ian; Downie, Thomas T.; Han, Seon W.; More, Ian A. R.; Lindop, George B. M. // Kidney International;Jan1992, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p211
Evaluates the function of the parietal podocyte in the kidney glomerulus. Examination of vascular pole in human kidneys; Characteristic of parietal podocytes; Identification of the podocytes in renal diseases.
- Endothelial progenitor cells and coronary artery disease. Francis, S. // Heart;Jun2004, Vol. 90 Issue 6, p591
Endothelial progenitor cells have radically altered the way in which vascular biologists and clinicians think about the genesis, development, and healing of atherosclerotic lesions.
- Abstracts submitted to the 13th Annual Meeting of the Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology June 7â€“9, 2002 Boston, Massachusetts, USA. // Vascular Medicine;2002, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p57
Presents several abstracts on vascular diseases. 'Genetic Determinants of Nicotine-Induced Angiogenesis,' by Yan Wang, Ying Zhang, Thomas Quertermous and John P. Cooke; 'Severity of Peripheral Arterial Disease is Linked to Severity of Endothelial Dysfunction,' by Roberta K. Oka, Andrzej Szuba,...
- Influence of Smoking on Predictors of Vascular Disease. Tsiara, Stavroula; Elisaf, Moses; Mikhailidis, Dimitri P. // Angiology;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p507
Beyond the already well-established strong causative relationship with cancer, smoking increases the risk for vascular disease. Smoking may act directly or adversely influence risk factors contributing to the development of vascular disease. Smoking causes endothelial dysfunction, dyslipidemia...
- Free radicals and vascular disease: how much do we know? Halliwell, Barry // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/9/93, Vol. 307 Issue 6909, p885
Examines the function of free radicals and vascular disease in the function of normal endothelium and in atherosclerosis. Role of endothelial cells in controlling vessel tone; Characteristics of the endothelial cells; Secretions of vascular endothelium.