People In The News
- UMBA Tightens Its Show. Zeller, Brad // Publishers Weekly;10/14/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 41, p22
Reports on the annual Upper Midwest Booksellers Association trade show which was held in Saint Paul, Minnesota from September 27 to 29, 2002. Number of booksellers, publishers and authors who attended the trade show; Books that caught the interest of attendees.
- Publishing firm refines its focus. Agostinelli, Elizabeth A. // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/10/2005, Vol. 25 Issue 45, p37
Reports on the revitalization effort of Indianapolis-based Sams Technical Publishing by focusing on a new line of books centers on consumer-electronics and automotive technology. History of the publishing company; Action taken by the publishing company to both publish and redistribute other...
- A RETURNS-FREE WORLD. Maurer, Rolf // Quill & Quire;Mar1997, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p13
Reports on the system of returning unsold books by booksellers to publishers in Canada. Problem with the system; Origin of the system of return; Impact of the non-returnable process on the publishers; Expensive nature of the current consignment system in bookselling; Benefits that the book...
- The battle of the knuckleheads. Bellafante, Ginia // Time;10/5/1998, Vol. 152 Issue 14, p72
Discusses the competition between the For Dummies series and the Idiot's Guide series of books as of September 1998. Number of titles for each; 1997 revenue; Top seller; Upcoming titles; When the Dummies series was launched; The differences in both series.
- Modelling Competition in the Textbook Market: Some Lessons still to Learn. Jiménez, Juan Luis; Campos, Javier // Journal of Industry, Competition & Trade;Mar2010, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p71
Many European governments still advocate a so-called â€˜cultural exceptionâ€™, intended to protect consumers and smaller bookshops, to keep their book markets isolated from competition. Other countries, with similar aims in mind, have chosen liberalization schemes instead. To reconcile...
- London now an international marketplace. Lottman, Herbert R. // Publishers Weekly;4/19/1999, Vol. 246 Issue 16, p22
Reports on the emergence of London, England as an international marketplace for books. Reasons for London's increased prominence in the book trade; Visitors to the 1999 London Book Fair; Participation of French, Italian, and German publishers in the event.
- BookExpo America 1999 addendum. // Publishers Weekly;4/19/1999, Vol. 246 Issue 16, p29
Presents an additional listing of exhibitors at the 1999 BookExpo America. Audio Publishers Association; Harvill Press; Sunbelt Publications; Travelers' Tales; Radio Spirits Inc.; Fromm International; Argo Insurance Brokers Inc.
- Paperback Recession. // Time;7/5/1954, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p90
This article discusses the falling paperback market in the U.S. in 1954. Publishers posted a decline in paperback sales from the previous year. Four companies plan to suspend publication for the summer and a paperback publisher intends to reduce book production by a third. Some publishers hope...
- The Trade Book Publishing Industry in South Korea. Yang, Eric // Publishing Research Quarterly;Winter2004, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p37
This article reviews trends in the South Korean publishing industry as of 2003. The biggest news of the Korean book market in 2003 was the establishment of the Net Pricing Agreement. The key point of this agreement was that publishers cannot discount the prices of new titles within one year on...