Persistence of Respiratory-Swallowing Coordination After Laryngectomy
- Comments on Selected Recent Dysphagia Literature. Sasaki, Clarence T.; Leder, Steven B. // Dysphagia (0179051X);Aug2003, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p223
Comments on several studies related to dysphagia. "The Massey Bedside Swallowing Screen," by R. Massey and D. Jedlicka; "Mechanisms of Airway Protection During Retching, Vomiting, and Swallowing," by I. M. Lang, N. Dana, B. K. Medda and R. Shaker; "Primary Closure Versus Radial Forearm Flap...
- Swallowing Apnea as a Function of Airway Closure. Hiss, Susan G.; Strauss, Monica; Treole, Kathleen; Stuart, Andrew; Boutilier, Susan // Dysphagia (0179051X);Oct2003, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p293
The purpose of this research was to ascertain whether the existence of swallowing apnea (SA) was the sole result of glottic closure or the result of its own neural mechanism. Forty individuals served as participants. Groups 1 and 2 consisted of 10 individuals with laryngectomy less than one year...
- Esophageal inlet granuloma. Vakkalanka, Sarah K.; Altman, Ken W. // ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal;Jul2003, Vol. 82 Issue 7, p489
Provides information on the evaluation of a 41 year-old woman diagnosed with ongoing dysphagia and tracheotomy dependence. Complications experienced due to the injury; Way in which the woman was evaluated; Composition of five direct microlarynngoscopy procedures that the woman underwent.
- Effect of Frequency and Tidal Volume on Pleural Pressure in Rabbits during High Frequency... Hernaiz, M.I.; FErnandez, P.; Houtz, P.; Boynton, B.R.; Lai-Fook, S.J. // Lung;1999, Vol. 177 Issue 1, p21
Studies the regional effects of the chest wall on airway pressure transmission during high frequency ventilation (HPV) in anesthetized rabbits. Gas trapping in the lung periphery during HPV; Measurement of costal pleural pressure using the rib capsule technique; Phase differences between airway...
- head-tilt chin-lift maneuver. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1013
A definition of the medical term "head-tilt chin-lift maneuver," which refers a maneuver used in opening the airway of an unconscious patient, is presented.
- Mueller maneuver. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1504
An encyclopedia entry for "Mueller maneuver," which refers to an inspiration against a blocked upper airway, is presented.
- nasopharyngeal airway, maintenance of. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1543
An encyclopedia entry for the "maintenance of nasopharyngeal airway" is presented.
- polypnea. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1848
An encyclopedia entry for the term "polypnea," which is the other word for panting, is presented.
- ABC. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2
An encyclopedia entry for the acronym "ABC," which may mean antigen-binding capacity or airway, breathing, circulation is presented.