- Wisconsin lawmakers weigh school referendum curbs. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;03/08/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30593, p4
Discusses proposals being pushed by lawmakers in Wisconsin to curb school building referendums. Terms of the proposals; Implications for school districts in the state; Impetus for the proposed policy changes; Rationale for the reform.
- Property-Tax Funding Ban Advances in Wisconsin. // Education Week;3/21/1990, Vol. 9 Issue 26, p13
The article reports on the approval of Wisconsin Assembly on the measure that provides a statewide referendum on a controversial constitutional amendment to stop funding schools with local property taxes in Wisconsin. The amendment will help reduce the high levels of property taxes paid by the...
- Pick `em Laboring on Plum's pit. // Education Week;3/7/1990, Vol. 9 Issue 24, p14
The article reports on developments concerning education in the U.S. Governor Tommy G. Thompson said that ending the use of property-tax revenues to pay for Wisconsin schools might be a good idea. Tourism-industry groups have sought passage of laws prohibiting school districts from beginning...
- School provision stripped from immigration bill. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;10/02/96, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p21
Reports that Republican lawmakers cut a contested school provision from a broad immigration-reform bill and vowed to pursue the school measure separately. Signing of the conference agreement; Attempts t curb immigration to the United States.
- WISCONSIN: Voters Nix $1OOM School Bond. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/18/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32610, p9
The article reports that Elmbrook School District voters in Brookfield, Wisconsin rejected a $100 million bond issue to renovate and expand schools and a nearly $10 million referendum to finance the construction of field houses at two high schools. If the referendums had been approved, they...
- Varied laws raise a question: What is a charter school? Olson, Lynn // Education Week;1/19/94, Vol. 13 Issue 17, p14
Reports on the increasing popularity of the concept of charter schools in the United States. Charter schools' accountability for results; Conversion of existing public schools; Wisconsin lawmakers' bill to create ten charter schools; Concerns on start-up costs.
- Wisconsin Legislators Approve Revised Plan For Graduation Exam. Blair, Julie // Education Week;10/20/99, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p17
Reports on the creation of a modified high school graduation test approved by Wisconsin lawmakers. Purpose of the test; Budget approved by the legislature for K-12 education; Original testing plan of Wisconsin Governor Tommy G. Thompson.
- Karnataka Panel Blames Cellphones for Rape. // India -- West;7/18/2014, Vol. 39 Issue 35, pA42
The article reports on the recommendation from a panel of lawmakers in Karnataka Assembly in India to ban mobile phones in schools in order to curb rape cases as the device is being blamed for the growing number of crimes against women.
- School Violence: Lessons Learned. Fairchild, Mary; Bell, Julie Davis // State Legislatures;Feb2000, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p12
Discusses the efforts of lawmakers to respond to the rise of school violence in the United States by focusing on prevention and just deterrence. Laws to create safe schools and curb violent young people; Fundamental facts of school violence; Role of the state legislature in preventing school...
- Bid To Ease Wis. School Spending Caps Gains Traction. Blair, Julie // Education Week;01/31/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 20, p16
Reports the criticisms received by the proposals that would modify state caps on school spending in Wisconsin. Effect on schools; Solutions proposed by lawmakers to the problem; Possibility of the plan to be included in the state budget for fiscal 2002; Contention of the proponents of the plan.