NEWS IN BRIEF
- There is still much work to be done. STINEMAN, JOHN // Corridor Business Journal;1/6/2014, Vol. 10 Issue 24, p12
The author shares his insights into the priorities for Iowa in 2014. He urges to keep pushing forward as there is still much work to do. He thinks that one of the driving reasons for the poor showing of the state in the recent State Business Tax Climate Index is tax complexity. He warns that in...
- The $1.8 billion question. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;11/8/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p1
This article presents information on Michigan's single-business tax (SBT). But included in Michigan's SBT is a formula that helps Livonia-based Spectrum, which makes parts-feeding equipment, reduce its Michigan tax liability by taking into account its out-of-state sales. And it's such aspects,...
- Lawmakers push bill to keep tax credits if SBT dies. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;6/19/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 25, p29
The article reports that the state House of Michigan last week swiftly passed a bill to keep in place the tax credits scheduled to mature after the likely 2007 expiration of Michigan's single-business tax, and the Senate plans action this week. In Detroit and across the state, there has been...
- The Influence of Taxes on Employment and Population Growth: Evidence from the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area. Mark, Stephen T.; McGuire, Therese J.; Papke, Leslie E. // National Tax Journal;Mar2000, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p105
Abstract - We examine whether personal and business taxes are an important determinant of economic development in a metropolitan area. We estimate determinants of the location of private employment and population across the D.C. metropolitan area over the period 1969-94. After controlling for...
- Running the Numbers, Running Scared. Quinn, William T. // Business News New Jersey;5/27/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 22, p24
Accounts the concerns of the business sector with the business tax increase proposed by the administration of Governor James McGreevey in New Jersey. Impact of tax code revisions on the future tax liability of companies; Problems with taxing gross sales receipts; Efforts to refine the...
- City eyes local business for tax increase. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;6/21/2002, Issue 322945, p24
Editorial. Discusses the proposal which aims to increase the taxes on business operating within Fresno in California. Reactions of the Fresno City Council members to the proposal; Impact of the proposal on large business organizations.
- WHAT "INVISIBLE" DUTIES ARE TROUBLING MACEDONIAN BUSINESSES? // Macedonian Business Monthly;Jan2014, Vol. 14 Issue 138, p7
The article reports on the para-fiscal duties that cause problems in the business community in Macedonia including the cost for involvement in tender offers, and the charge for noticing an outdoor sign paid.
- The State in Crisis. // Business News New Jersey;4/22/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 17, p20
Editorial. Comments on the business crisis in New Jersey. Expansion of the homestead rebate program; Flexibility on corporate taxes; Effect of the Dirty Thirty on companies.
- Business taxes blamed for keeping companies away. // Inside Tucson Business;10/13/97, Vol. 7 Issue 29, p21B
States that business taxes are driving business enterprises from Tucson, Arizona. Loss of companies whose executives refused to set up shop due to property taxes.