An Update on the Diagnosis of Diabetes
- The ACCORD Study: The Devil Is in the Details. Siegel, David; Swislocki, Arthur L.M. // Metabolic Syndrome & Related Disorders;Apr2011, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p81
The Action to Control Cardiovascular Risks in Diabetes Study (ACCORD) was a well-designed trial of 10,251 patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus that studied the effects of tight control of blood sugar, hypertension, and lipids. Disappointingly, as compared with standard treatment, the use of...
- The Adventures of PUMP BOY. // Countdown;Summer2004, Vol. 25 Issue 3, 'Special section' p8
Presents a comic strip featuring the adventures of Pump Boy, a diabetes control patrol.
- ENVIRONMENT MATTERS. Culverwell, Melissa // Countdown;Summer2004, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p26
Identifies environmental factors that trigger the occurrence of type 1 diabetes. Conception of multiple environmental determinants of the disease; Association of the rubella virus with the development of the disease if the child is infected in the womb; Link of the ingestion of cow's milk in the...
- Salamander Science! Lewinson, Rachael // Countdown;Summer2004, Vol. 25 Issue 3, 'Special section' p4
Examines how salamanders could help find a cure for diabetes. Ability of salamanders to regenerate new body parts; Possibility of making new islet cells to replace the old, dead ones; Occurrence of magic gene in the specie. INSETS: Important Definitions;Regeration vs. Transplantation.
- Serum protein expression profiling for cancer detection: Validation of a SELDI-based approach for prostate cancer. Grizzle, William E.; Bao-Ling Adam; Bigbee, William L.; Conrads, Thomas P.; Carroll, Christopher; Ziding Feng; Izbicka, Elzbieta; Jendoubi, Moncef; Johnsey, Donald; Kagan, Jacob; Leach, Robin J.; McCarthy, Diane B.; Semmes, O. John; Srivastava, Shiv; Srivastava, Sudhir; Thompson, Ian M.; Thornquist, Mark D.; Verma, Mukesh; Zhen Zhang; Zhiqiang Zou // Disease Markers;2003/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 4/5, p185
Multiple studies have reported that analysis of serum and other bodily fluids using surface enhanced laser desorption/ionization time of flight mass spectroscopy (SELDI-TOF-MS) can identify a "fingerprint" or "signature" of spectral peaks that can separate patients with a specific disease from...
- How Does Anger Coping Style Affect Glycemic Control in Diabetes Patients? Yi, Joyce P.; Yi, Jean C.; Vitaliano, Peter P.; Weinger, Katie // International Journal of Behavioral Medicine;Jul-Sep2008, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p167
Background: Although various forms of anger have been found to influence the psychological and physical health in many chronic illness populations, little is known about the effects of anger in diabetes patients. Purpose: Associations between anger coping style, diabetes-related psychological...
- Autoimmune diabetes: NKG2D receptor: a therapeutic target? Brazil, Melanie // Nature Reviews Drug Discovery;Aug2004, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p646
Reports on the potential of NKG2D receptor as a therapeutic target for type 1 diabetes. Role of NKG2D in the progression of diabetes; Factors mediating NKG2D expression; Capacity of a non-depleting anti-NKG2D antibody to prevent the disease.
- Low yield of population-based screening for Type 2 diabetes in the Netherlands: the ADDITION Netherlands study. PGH Janssen; KJ Gorter; RP Stolk; GEHM Rutten // Family Practice;Dec2007, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p555
Background. About 10 years ago, it was estimated that half of all people with diabetes were unrecognized. Since then, according to the national guidelines, case finding for diabetes in general practice has become common in the Netherlands, resulting in a substantial increase of the prevalence of...
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Diabetes Mellitus. Waseem, Qureshi; Hassan, G. // JK Science;Oct-Dec2011, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p164
The article offers information about the diabetes mellitus (DM) and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). It mentiions that the latter is the most common form of sleep-disordered breathing (SBD) globally, which can be determined by Apnea -Hypopnea Index (AHI). It notes that the increased catecholamines...