Packaging Power Shifts
- Numbers confirm cable local ad threat. Garcia, Kristine // Electronic Media;7/22/96, Vol. 15 Issue 30, p14
Reports that direct broadcast satellite and telephone companies are making inroads into cable television's viewing market which may affect local cable television advertising. Findings by Nielsen Media Research; Comment by Ave Butensky, president of the Television Bureau of Advertising; Features...
- CABLE, DBS REACT WITH SKEPTICISM; OTHER BABY BELLS WILL WAIT AND SEE. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;10/11/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 41, p66
Discusses the reaction of direct-broadcast satellite and cable providers to the fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) project of Verizon Communications Inc. Statement issued by Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp., on FTTP; Other reactions from executives regarding FTTP; Remarks from Ed Whiteacre,...
- Cable rates' endless rise. // Consumer Reports;May2009, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p5
This article discusses the continuous annual increase in cable television rates. According to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, cable rates have climbed 122 percent since 1995. Since most areas are serviced by only one cable company, there is no competition to keep the rates lower....
- Hawaiian Crunch. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;10/10/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 41, p15
Presents an update on the status of cable television penetration in Hawaii, as of October 10, 2005. Comparison of the percentage of households subscribing between cable and satellite television; Sale of the phone business of Verizon Communications Inc. to local operator Hawaiian Telecom Inc.
- FiOS TV'S $50 FACTOR. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;5/2/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 18, p1
Reports on the plan of Verizon Communications Inc. to offer low-priced programming packages among its cable and satellite subscribers for its FiOS television (TV) service in May 2005. Services included in the programming package to be offered by the company; Remarks from Verizon spokesman Mark...
- Study: Satellite TV Gains Not Always. Mann, Wendy // Rural Telecommunications;May/Jun2005, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p8
Provides information on a report from technology research firm Strategy Analytics which revealed the impact on cable operators of the increase in customers of U.S. satellite television providers in 2004. Number of subscribers gained by DirecTV and EchoStar in 2004; Effect of the competition...
- The Little Guys:. // CableFAX Daily;6/1/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 106, p2
Deals with the quest of Sunflower's Patrick Knorr to enable small cables to tier broadcast networks just like direct broadcast satellite does. Benefit of such a move to small to mid-sized cable operators; His outlook for telephone companies' video plans.
- Off to War: CTPAA Sports a Pugnacious Theme at Forum. // CableFAX Daily;3/22/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 55, p1
Presents issues at the Cable Television Public Affairs Association Forum as of March 2006. Information on a video from Time Warner Cable comparing direct broadcast satellite television to war; Warning given by National Community Television Association's Kyle McSlarrow to telephone companies.
- Biz bumps tab for TV. Lowry, Tom // Daily Variety;1/11/2011, Vol. 310 Issue 7, p1
The article reports on the move of subscription television (TV) providers to increase prices, despite the drops in subscribers. According to a research report by Stanford Bernstein, almost all of the major satellite, cable, and telephone companies that offer TV service are lifting their prices....