'Level Field' Under Siege
- State of Play. // CableFAX Daily;1/27/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 18, p1
This article presents an update on several legislation in the U.S. cable television sector, as of January 27, 2006. A bill was introduced by lawmakers in South Carolina to allow state-issued cable franchises. A telecommunication reform bill was amended to keep franchise authority at the local...
- Real Cable Competition Is on the Way. Waldock, Marlene J. // njbiz;8/14/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 33, p10
The article reflects on a bill approved by New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine which allows Verizon Communications to enter the cable market without having to win franchise rights. The establishment of a Community TV Antenna in Pennsylvania by TV distributors John and Margaret Walson is considered...
- Feelin' OK in Richmond. // CableFAX Daily;2/28/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p1
Reports on the video franchise bill passed by the Virginia House and Senate. Significance of the bill for Verizon; Reason for the failure of other cable operators to negotiate a franchise deal in other U.S. states.
- Changing the Face of the State's Cable-TV Market. Ruth, Joãa-Pierre S. // njbiz;7/17/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 29, p1
The article focuses on the attempt of Verizon Communications to penetrate the cable-television industry in New Jersey. The Cable Choice Act, endorsed by the company to eliminate the need to win cable-TV franchising rights on a town-by-town basis, needs the approval of Governor Jon Corzine to be...
- NJ Franchise Bill Fuels Verizon Poll. // TelecomWeb News Digest;3/13/2006, p3
The article reports on a poll commissioned by Verizon indicating that a large majority of respondents support updating the cable-television franchise laws of New Jersey to allow new business competitors. The poll claims that almost seven of 10 homeowners agree it should be easier for companies...
- Franchise Feats. // CableFAX Daily;9/8/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 174, p1
Offers news briefs on cable franchises in the U.S. as of September 8, 2005. Anti-cable statewide video franchise bill signed into law by Texas Governor Rick Perry; Acquisition by Verizon of its second video franchise in California.
- Washington Watch. McAvoy, Kim // Broadcasting & Cable;1/2/95, Vol. 125 Issue 1, p51
Reports on developments in the cable industry. Federal appeals court's review of the Federal Communication's Commission's rate regulations; Failure of the 1992 Cable Act; Clinton's telecommunication's summit; Cox Cable Communications' acquisition of Times Mirror's cable system.
- Some Fear Policy Pitfall Looms. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/13/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p1
Reports on the concerns of small telecommunication firms on the cable television bill in the U.S. Saturation of the anti-cable television advertising; Decision of National Cable & Telecommunications Association to allow anti-cable advertising; Explanation of the cable rate increase.
- Massachusetts Bill Faces Delay. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/11/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 24, p6
The article reports that a vote on a Verizon Communications Inc. backed legislative bill that would reform cable franchising in Massachusetts may be headed for a 90-day delay. Bill sponsor Senator Steven Panagiotakos has recommended that a task force study the measure which would move...